WaffleGrenadiers and the lost .bmp's...

Hi,

I've recently reinstalled CMBB, and it would seem in the 4 or 5 years since I last had it installed, some of the older websites that I got my mods from at the time have vanished and I'm having a hell of a time finding the US version of bmp #11240. Any pointers as to where I could hunt this down in order to get rid of the WG would be much appreciated....

Blimey, you got me confused at first because what you're talking about aren't common terms used widely around the rest of the World. All I thought at first was: well there wouldn't be a "US version of 11240.bmp" as it's for CMBB and the US didn't fight that war. Then I figured out you must be wanting cute little swastikas and "SS" instead of "WG" (Waffen Grenadiers). By the way, there's nothing incorrect with "Waffen Grenadiers" as a term (its merely short for "Waffen Grenadiers of the SS"), but my advice would be to simply download and check-out the various "User Interface" mods at CMMODS until you find one. I know that the "Dark Steel Interface" mod by Tarkus has the SS symbols on 11240.bmp, so you could try that. And there's the "definitive swastika pack" by juju for the in-game flags.

Oh, I was mainly referring to "waffle" grenadiers as being a rare term.

Just in case any future reader isn't familiar with the background behind srm79's issue, its because use of Nazi symbols "can" break the law in Germany, Poland and Hungary (and probably a couple of other countries too). However, the European Union voted (in 2005) against an EU-wide ban of Nazi symbology. And in most European countries there was never a similar ban (albeit such symbols are still generally seen as extremely offensive).

However, the law in Poland and Hungary seems to allow for artistic and educational use, and the law in Germany (criminal code 86a) only regards either public displays of such symbols or where they are used (publicly or privately) to actively promote such ideology. So an historical wargame intended for private use at home would not automatically break any of these laws - but given the sensitivity in those countries (and others where such symbols are still considered extremely bad taste, if not illegal as such), you can see why the makers edged away to play it safe, at least for European distribution.

"Symbols" can mean not just swastikas, SS and other badges and flags, but also mottoes, salutes and even the format of a rally or other public display, etc. Indeed, anything that is deemed "symbolic" of Nazism.

Poland was also considering making an equivalent law against communist-era symbols too, but I'm not sure if the law's been passed (or how likely).