Out of ammo

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid running out of ammo before the end of the scenario? I suppose I could tell everyone to hide, but I would think that would make it rather difficult to gain ground. It seems to me that my guys are willing to expend quite a bit of ammo on targets that they are not likely to kill. Of course I can’t complain too much, sometimes I really do want to merely keep their heads down.

------------------

Eric

I like SS_P's idea suggestion for better fire control.

Very simply, I'd just like to see an option in each units orders menu: "Conserve Ammo"

It would be a simple on/off like the "button" order for tanks. Also, just like the buttoned order, the unit can turn it off if the situation calls for it.

That would be useful. Especially in Chance Encounter. I had many units run out of ammo during that scenario because they were madly firing at targets at the limits of their effective ranges. It would have been useful to be able to tell those guys to conserve ammo - at least until the bad guys got closer!

Fionn? Steve? Why can't we have this? Surely it would not be difficult to add the "conserve ammo" switch. More likely there is a reason why it would actually suck that I am overlooking. smile.gif

I usually keep 1/3 of the guys hidden all through the map with a HQ unit in command radius, it's amazing what fresh troops can do when all the others are getting low on ammo/morale. Even a Single fresh platoon can change the outcome of the scenario, that tactic even worked on Close Combat.

Hi all,

Well I think that most of you have got the wrong end of the stick with this one wink.gif.

Speaking from experience I can tell you that it is close assaults (or sub-40m firing ranges) which soak up the ammo (just as they should wink.gif ).

If you look at a unit firing at a target 200 metres away it may fire two bursts per minute (not a big deal) BUT a close assaulting unit can rip through 8 bursts in a turn wink.gif.

Also the "conserve ammo" thing would be one of those things that are asked for but would never be used in play cause pretty soon people would realise that there are certain situations coming up in which the computer is keeping to your "conserve ammo" order BUT you wish it would forget it and start blazing away wink.gif.

Personally I have very little problem with troops blazing away at targets I don't want them to engage and I think it's just that you must all be putting troops into situations out of cover where they are being fired at constantly or something.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

"you must all be putting troops into situations out of cover where they are being fired at constantly or something."

Yes I think that was the case in Chance Encounter for me when my guys were running out of ammo. It was a pretty crazy scenario - but still, it seemed like my German guys on the east side of the map kept firing across the battlefield to the tree-covered hill in the west.

Fionn, do you think it made a difference that many of the Germans in that scenario are Conscripts or Green? Do they have a tendency to waste ammo? Obviously, they miss more often, so that is a waste of ammo in a sense, but what i am asking is if they are less effective at conserving and rationing their ammo.

thanks

BDw,

Yes it makes a difference.

Basically conscripts and green troops are less fit, less quiet, less good, less disciplined and less sensible.

They will expose all your ambushes, will fire at stupid targets etc etc.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

F

O

R

C

E

I'm using that weakness as a strength against one of my opponents in CE. Won't say more now cause he reads the board BUT if you think the AI in CM is doing something wrong look at troop quality and the battlefield situation.

Can read again from HERE !

You're not going to see Elite troops blazing away at targets they can't hurt when enemy infantry are charging them. Conscript troops couldn't even point the gun in the right general direction never mind do something with it wink.gif.

So, yes, it makes a difference. This is probably a big part of what you all are seeing.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

[This message has been edited by Fionn (edited 11-28-99).]

HEY!!!

I'm still not done with my first playing of chance encounter as are other as well I would assume

should be soon but really didn't want to see that info about it.

let's give it a bit still, or throw a warning at top of message please.

Fionn said:

"Personally I have very little problem with troops blazing away at targets I don't want them to engage and I think it's just that you must all be putting troops into situations out of cover where they are being fired at constantly or something."

I am guessing that being fired at is one of the things that inspires your troops to expend ammo (understandable) but I don't get what their level of cover has to do with it.

------------------

Eric

I agree with SS_PL, it would be nice to be able to put greater fire restrictions on your units. I guess we could use the ambush function in this way but was unhiiden ambush markers dont work right?

Also for support units it would be nice to have greater control over target selection.

Fionn also said:

"Also the "conserve ammo" thing would be one of those things that are asked for but would never be used in play cause pretty soon people would realise that there are certain situations coming up in which the computer is keeping to your "conserve ammo" order BUT you wish it would forget it and start blazing away."

Point taken, although it is my understanding that if you order your men to hide they will still react to threats such as incoming fire or enemies in close proximity. It seems reasonable for the same thing to apply to a conserve ammo order.

------------------

Eric

Guest Big Time Software

One major thing has changed since the demo, and it should fix ammo conservation issues.

Units that are Hiding will only rarely take pot shots on their own initiative. They will, however, react to close threats and directed small arms fire. So if they are in harm's way they will most likely start shooting back.

When units get down to something like... 20%? of their ammo they start to shoot less if they can. So instead of shooting at x target 10 times in a turn, they might cut it down to 5 or even none if the target really isn't very important. The human can override this until the unit gets to "low". At this point your unit will *only* fire about once a turn. Basically just harrassing fire.

Steve