Command structure?

Company commanders excert command to all units belonging to its own company plus any attached units (noted with a T in their ID) within their command radius and not currently within command radius of other platoon HQs. They do not excert any command to units from another company.

Guest Big Time Software

Slight clarification. Company HQs only affect the units within their command radius. There is no benefit given to units other than this. The reason is that platoons were intended to be largely autonomous formations when engaged in combat. The lack of a Co HQ would therefore have no direct affect on the platoon, at least in terms of delay times.

Steve

Thanks for the reply Steve, but it doesn't really answer my question, whihc Greg actually articulated better.

Basically - how do I know which platoons belong to which company?

Also will there be a order-of-battle function so you can look up all your units and go to them from that screen?

Ta

Mike

Mike,

As far as telling which squads are part of which platoon goes, if you select a squad and examine its "info box" at the bottom of the screen, I believe it will have an alpha numeric designation that tells you which platoon it belongs to. For example, platoon "A"'s squad leader would be "A-0", first squad would be "A-1", second squad "A-2" and so on.

In addition, there is a small box which has what looks like a small radio in it in the "info box" as well. If there is a small circle with a line through it over the radio the unit in question is not "in command", i.e. it is not within the command radius of its HQ. Also, if you select an HQ red lines will be drawn on the map to its units that are "in command", while black lines are drawn to ones that aren't.

I'm not sure if the same goes for Co. HQ's and platoon HQ's. I don't recall seeing a command line drawn from one to the other, though such a line will be drawn between units (teams, squads, etc.) and Co. HQ's when the unit in question is w/in the command radius. I have moved a Co. HQ close to a platoon HQ to try and rally it. It SEEMED to rally faster, but I have no objective evidence to prove it had any effect.

Finally, with regard to an OOB, there was a fairly heated discussion about this shortly after the demo came out. If memory serves, BTS said such a feature would not be in the initial release, but they might consider it for later.

Regards,

The Dude

[This message has been edited by The Dude (edited 12-05-99).]