Ground Tile Sizes

I have been looking at the ground tiles in CMBN with an eye towards making a proper grid for them but the tile are rather odd sizes.

There seem to be four main tile sizes: Grass type tiles are 50mx50m (Large), Forest floor type tiles are 22.4mx22.4m (Medium), Marsh type tiles are 11.2mx11.2m (Small) and Pavement type files are 5.44mx5.44m (Tiny) (Note: Types of files are grouped by height/width, not by similarity of terrain).

These odd sizes make it nearly impossible to have a consistent grid between all the tile types. The first whole number ratio for these tiles is 625 grid lines/tile for Large tiles to 280 grid lines/tile for Medium tiles to 140 grid lines/tile for Small tiles to 68 grid lines/tile for Tiny tiles.

Is there any way to change the default size of the tiles (changing the bitmap size doesn't affect the size at all)? I doubt there is, but you never know until you ask.

If any of the developers read this, can you explain to me if you have the time why you chose those sizes (50 to 22.4 to 11.2 to 5.44)? I can't figure out any relationship between them myself and, being an engineer, I like to understand the relationships between things.

It would be nice if the ratios were something even like 48 to 24 to 12 to 6.

I was actually thinking of doing this myself actually. If you wanna see how one that has been done looks check here: http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=finishdown&id=1148

Just reverse engineer it. I don't believe you need to worry about the other tiles unless you were trying to have grid visible from farther away.

Like I said I was looking into modding this myself but haven't gotten that far.

PS.. i was wondering between the smaller to larger tiles if you could make it so the smallest had 1 line medium had 2 lines large tiles had 3. But like I said I havent gotten that far.

I have done it and I have looked at the other grids out there. I want the grids for all the tiles to line up and be the same size, and the only way to have that is to have the large ratios I cited above (625 to 280 to 140 to 68).

I have looked at this extensively. With no two tile sizes matching you can get a grid of 25 to 11 to 6 to 3 which is pretty close, but none of them match. If the Large, Medium and Small grids match you get 125 to 56 to 28 with the Tiny not matching at 14 (should be 13.6). Changing line widths for the grids won't get them to match.

I am quite familiar with making grids for CM. Many people who played CMx1 will know my "Topo Grids".

• 4 weeks later...

After extensive testing, I have determined the size of all the tiles in CMBN (i.e. how much ground each bitmap file covers). The chart below shows the bitmap name followed by it's size in meters squared. As you can see, there is a lot a variability.

Ground grass - 50m

Ground grass yellow - 50m

Ground dirt - 22.7m

Ground dirt red - 22.7m

Ground forest floor - 22.4m

Ground hard - 22.4m

Ground rocky - 22.4m

Ground rocky red - 22.4m

Ground sand - 22.4m

Ground brush - 16m

Ground brush hard - 16m

ground mud - 11.2m

ground marsh - 11.2m

Ground dirt ploughed ew - 10m

Ground dirt ploughed ns - 10m

Ground rubble - 8m

Ground highway - 8m

Ground railroad - 8m

Ground paved - 8m

Ground paved 2 - 8m

Ground cliff - 6.4m

Ground cobblestone - 5.8m

Ground pavement - 5.44m

Ground gravel - 4.5m

Ground dirt road - 4.5m

Ground pavement 2 - 4.44m

Ground ford - 4m

Ground green crop - 3.5m

Ground grain - 2.56m

These tile sizes in meters are independent of the tile size in pixels. In other words no matter how big or small the bitmap in pixels, the tile will be smeared or compressed to cover the same distance in meters on the 3D map.

In contrast to the base ground files above, all the unnumbered mini ground files (e.g. mini ground grass) are 1 meter per pixel when displayed on the 3D map. In other words, if the mini file is 50 pixels square, it will be 50m square on the 3D map.

I haven't been able to figure out exactly what the numbered mini ground files do (e.g. mini ground grass 1, mini ground grass 2, etc.) but I think they are used in the far view to blend two unnumbered mini ground files together. I don't know for sure what their size is at this point either, but I think it they are also 1m/pixel.

The base grid for terrain deformations seems to be 2 meters. In other words, each bend in the terrain is exactly 2 meters to the closest possible adjacent perpendicular bend in the terrain. The logic for the bends seems to be the same as in CMx1, which is four possible bend directions per 2m square square (2 corner to corner, 1 middle top to bottom and one middle side to side - imagine a square with four lines drawn through it all crossing in the middle of the square).

I have made a grid based on this information which I will be posting sometime in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
After extensive testing, I have determined the size of all the tiles in CMBN (i.e. how much ground each bitmap file covers). The chart below shows the bitmap name followed by it's size in meters squared. As you can see, there is a lot a variability.

Ground grass - 50m

Ground grass yellow - 50m

Ground dirt - 22.7m

Ground dirt red - 22.7m

Ground forest floor - 22.4m

Ground hard - 22.4m

Ground rocky - 22.4m

Ground rocky red - 22.4m

Ground sand - 22.4m

Ground brush - 16m

Ground brush hard - 16m

ground mud - 11.2m

ground marsh - 11.2m

Ground dirt ploughed ew - 10m

Ground dirt ploughed ns - 10m

Ground rubble - 8m

Ground highway - 8m

Ground railroad - 8m

Ground paved - 8m

Ground paved 2 - 8m

Ground cliff - 6.4m

Ground cobblestone - 5.8m

Ground pavement - 5.44m

Ground gravel - 4.5m

Ground dirt road - 4.5m

Ground pavement 2 - 4.44m

Ground ford - 4m

Ground green crop - 3.5m

Ground grain - 2.56m

These tile sizes in meters are independent of the tile size in pixels. In other words no matter how big or small the bitmap in pixels, the tile will be smeared or compressed to cover the same distance in meters on the 3D map.

In contrast to the base ground files above, all the unnumbered mini ground files (e.g. mini ground grass) are 1 meter per pixel when displayed on the 3D map. In other words, if the mini file is 50 pixels square, it will be 50m square on the 3D map.

I haven't been able to figure out exactly what the numbered mini ground files do (e.g. mini ground grass 1, mini ground grass 2, etc.) but I think they are used in the far view to blend two unnumbered mini ground files together. I don't know for sure what their size is at this point either, but I think it they are also 1m/pixel.

The base grid for terrain deformations seems to be 2 meters. In other words, each bend in the terrain is exactly 2 meters to the closest possible adjacent perpendicular bend in the terrain. The logic for the bends seems to be the same as in CMx1, which is four possible bend directions per 2m square square (2 corner to corner, 1 middle top to bottom and one middle side to side - imagine a square with four lines drawn through it all crossing in the middle of the square).

I have made a grid based on this information which I will be posting sometime in the future.

Two edits to the above information.

1) Rubble tiles are spread over the footprint of a building and therefore don't have a standard size.

2) Ford tiles have a size of 8m, not 4m.