Infantry taking cover

I've had this happen quite often:

let's suppose you have a couple of infantry squads in a single-story house. You move them in, and the enemy starts shooting at them. If there is enough people in the house (eg. 2 squads and a HQ), they start taking cover *out* of the house, often straight towards the enemy. It causes a lot of casualties, and you'll have to move them back into the house every turn.

So how do I make them stay in?

Jaakko,

It sound to me as though you are overcrowding the house. If this happens then the infantry in it will run for the nearest cover since they can't all fit in the house.

A good rule of thumb is to place no more than 1 squad + platoon or company HQ in a house.

E.g. A platoon should be spread between 3 houses with the platoon HQ and a squad in the middle house.

You are trying to fit 20some men in a space fit for only 12 and so 1 squad is trying to find cover outside the house.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Fionn,

Yeah, I thought so as well. But they actually do go into the house and stay put obediently until someone shoots at them. I'd prefer they didn't go into the house at all if it is overcrowded (maybe stopped behind it?). Also, they could take cover behind the house instead of traipsing about randomly. It's only a minor problem, but it can be annoying when the house is the only cover nearby.

Which reminds me, can infantry use vehicles as cover? I've tried to advance my squads behind StuGs, but I'm not sure if it helps.

Also, I seem to recall you in another thread mentioning something about the physics behind armour penetration. Do you know any web pages where I could find more info on the subject?

Thanks in advance smile.gif.

PS. Damn, I have a lot of questions today, don't I? wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Jaakko (edited 10-31-99).]

Jaakko,

Yes, armour penetration etc is my thing (sad but true).

Unfortunately I haven't seen any webpages which I would feel give a thorough and proper accounting of the various factors which come into play when calculating armour penetration.

I have included some paragraphs discussing armour penetration models in current wargames in an article I recently posted to the forum.. Maybe someone could post the URL of the thread?

Basically though very few websites on armour do anything close to a good job. unfortunately most webmasters simply haven't done the reading necessary or spent the time necessary to really write the long articles which would be necessary.

I started writing articles to explain this last year but never finished them... It might be worth me restarting them but I have so many thing I wish to write about I simply can't do any particular topic justice frown.gif

Personally I wouldn't advance them behind vehicles. Certainly it will provide them with cover from directly in front but any enemy unit at a 45 degree offset will be easily able to target your squad. The loss of tactical mobility and cover as one closes with the enemy isn't worth it IMO.

LOL. I've seen more questions than this.. I think Markus set a record with something like 20 questions in one post wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Jaakko, I suggest that you find Pekka Kantakoski's "Punaiset panssarit" which contains a reasonably detailed account on armor penetration. The book is quite expensive, but it has just been bought to Leppävaara library and it is available _now_ at the library H2 of Helsinki University. (It's quite amazing how much information you can find on the Internet when you know what you are looking...)

Of course, this reply doesn't help much those who cannot read Finnish. (Your poster stats stated that you are from Finland, so I guess you can read it :)

-Tommi

I've had similar "suicidal" moves by infantry. In one case, an HMG unit moved out of a stone building straight through a wall into a wheatfield -- directly toward my Tiger about 50m away. Naturally the HMG got blasted.

Another time a squad on a wall, in a close-quarters firefight, inexplicably jumped the wall and strolled forward into open terrain -- and the enemy's blazing rifles!

Paladin,

It sounds like these units may have been panicked (thus liable to run in any direction).

The close-quarters firefight thing you mention makes this more likely.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Guest Big Time Software

Jaakko, it probably has to do with panicking. Check their morale level when this happens next time. Guys shouldn't be moving out of houses on their own for no reason.

Paladin, the HMG was probably trying to get into a better firing position. Unfortunately, the AI can not calculate every possible angle of enemy fire, so mistakes a human would never make will happen. However, we did notice that MG teams are too likely to relocate, so the AI will be told to calm down and let them sit longer smile.gif

Steve