Vehicle Graphics

I think I read that you used 1/35th scale models in some way to create the vehicles. From a pure eye-candy angle I think they are stunning! What is this process? Just wondered how you created vehicles that aren't available as models? Notice you have created a Brit Cromwell, Churchill Croc and Daimler scout car (?). Tamiya also do a Universal Carrier but what about the others? Anybody do a Firefly, Comet, Archer, AEC A/C etc?

Guest Big Time Software

Thank's Mike. The process is very labor intensive. First we took side, top, front, and rear shots of the vehicle. These are then used to make templates, imported into a 3D program, and a model is created. Then we do some special things to the model and it is converted into code. The textures are touched up and adjusted (some are really a bear to do!) and added. Then there is about 4 rounds of tweaking to fix problem areas.

Fortunately we found models for every major category of vehicle. To do variations we sometimes just use modified textures. For example, taking a side texture from one Sherman (M4A1), a turret from another (M34A1 type), and creating a gun barrel gave us a Sherman Firefly IIc with cast hull. Taking the hull from a M4A4 and the other stuff gave us a Firefly V. Uh, I think I got them right (always forget which is which!).

Sometimes I just have to knuckle down and actually MAKE some textures. The Comet turret is one of them, something like the Flak 38 shield is another. We have plenty of reference materials so it is just a matter of making something that looks good.

A LOT of work, but well worth it wink.gif

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

The majority came from a great model show held in Baltimore, Maryland (USA). There are lots of these shows held by local and regional modeling clubs all over the world. This one happens to be one of the largest in the Eastern US. Other models came from various personal collections, including the King Tiger. This one is mine wink.gif Not only that, it was the model that gave us the idea about putting scale models into the game. See... it sits on my monitor and one day I got to looking at it and the one driving around in CM. A couple of pictures, a couple of scans, and a couple of hours proved that models looked COOL in the game wink.gif

Steve

Ok I'm going through new build love right now wink.gif.

The new build features some new vehicles chief of which, in my heart, is the Crocodile.

I've played with it in a couple of scenarios and it's brilliant fun, slow as hell, but armoured like hell and that flamethrower is amazing. Steve just said in an email to me that he needs to fix some texture stuff on it which surprised me cause I thought it was finished.

That's a comment I commonly have about the vehicles in the game... I'm constantly saying "wow, that one looks good" and being told it isn't finished or that it will be improved.. Don't get me wrong, I don't have low standards, it's just that the vehicles really do look good.

You've seen a few of the German ones but some of the Brit and US vehicles are real eye-openers too. The churchill looks just like it's come out of a history book. Very, very cool..

Actually, the crocodile was a really excellent flametank design when you look at it.. It kept its main gun, co-axial, a hull-mounted MG and put a nice big flamethrower with excellent range and a lot of shots in the hull front. The only problem was that the over-hull tracks return ended up limiting traverse a bit more than was desireable. Still, with the heavy armour of the Crocodile, the wide variety of weapons it had and just the sheer killing power of flamethrowers against unsupported infantry it's hardly a wonder it was so feared.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Oh, if it didn't that'd be the worst kind of basic error...

You guys will get to see that lil ol' fuel trailer bumping along behind the crocodile for sure wink.gif.

That was a good innovation but I wonder how heavily armoured the trailer was. Seems to me that a nice artillery stonk would have done major damage to the trailer and maybe even blown it up. What do you think?

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

There is a great book by a Croc commander (Flamethrower-Andrew Wilson) which details their employment. The trailer was thinly armoured but a fairly small target and at least if it was hit the tank crew had a chance. They were especially good against dug in German infantry apparently one of the techniques they developed was to let loose with the FT well short of the enemy line which acted as a smoke screen and gave the Germans something to think about. Sometimes whole units would surrender at the sight, especially towards the end of the war. smile.gif

No info on the armour on the trailer- but it weighed 13,000 lbs, carried 400 gallons of fuel, and seven nitrogen bottles. Range was between 80 to 120 yards depending on wind. The trailer hitch had a quick disconnect in case of trouble. The fuel lines ran in an armoured conduit beneath the tank.

The Croc was a bit of a star in CC2, was it not? smile.gif Perhaps it will be same in CM...if you get close enough to use it that is!

Flamethrowers must be one of the most unpleasant weapons ever invented in real-life. Almost medieval. I wonder if those Croc crews preferred that the enemy surrendered rather than having to burn them alive.

Thanks for the development insights, Steve.

Mike O'Brien