Is arty less effective in deep snow ? And more questions.

HT's (Skdz 2xx) is very sensitive too arty(mortars) ! The main advantage to trucks is that its supposed to protect vs arty ? In CC3 The best weapon vs Half trucks (and recon 232) is mortars, is it that way in reality too ?

Guns ? Which ones are in ?

Is arty less effective in deep snow(as it is in reality) ?

AA vs AIRpower ? How is it handled ?

Pz.B 39 Panserbusse, Is it in ?

Will it be a CM 1939-1940 ? If you have a good core and a good AI - isn't it possible too only make new vehicles and teams ?

IF you get the core and AI right (it play and feel right) cant you just burst out new Theaters of war ? Pacific, Italy, east front, WW1, Korea,  6-day war(Israel-Egypt)  ..............................

I'll bye every one of them ! smile.gif

Guest Big Time Software

Hello there Bamse,

People do have a faulty understanding of how resistant HTs and ACs were to enemy fire. While better than trucks, they weren't armored very well when artillery and tank guns (or even heavy machineguns) are factored in. Even the smallest AT gun could kill a HT easily.

The other problem is that HTs are OPEN, so an artillery or mortar round actually HITTING the top of the vehicle will knock it out 99% of the time. Even a tiny 50mm mortar round could probably do this. The trick is actually hitting the vehicle directly from above. Not sure how realistic CC3 is, but I can tell you that it is damned hard to hit a HT like this with mortar fire in CM. Disabling an HT due to some kind of damage to tracks, engine, or wheels is the more common result of a mortar attack. And also remember how many mortar rounds missed Fionn's HTs smile.gif

Which artillery guns are in CM? Yesh... practically everything smile.gif

Artillery is not as effective in show (though I don't think that has been added yet) depending on snow type (we have three depths).

To shoot down a plane, or to at least spook it, you need to have some specific AAA weapon of some sort. MGs mounted on tanks and HTs really weren't very good for AAA fire.

No Panzerbusche 39. It was taken out of service long before CM's 1944-45 timeframe.

We will make a CM for the early war period, including Poland and the Low Countries. However, Eastern Front and the Med. Theater are the next two. No quick modules either, each will be a stand alone game. Far too much work to support a new theater.

There is way more to making a game work for another theater (not to mention timeframe!) than just the AI. In fact, so much so that we don't think we will EVER do a game outside of WWII, and probably won't do the PTO either. Games that offer many time periods and theaters are either very strategic in nature or are VERY generic. CM is very specific, so it can not support everything uder the sun. Well, realistically that is, and realism is what CM is all about.

Steve

Great ! I will just love the CM for the early war period

Wich AT and INF guns will be in ? will the german smaller(37 mm) AT guns be in ?

If you have two AAA (FlaKPz IV/37 Ostwind)

and one of them is chewing enemy INF, The outher one is idle. Then a P51 is approaching

How is it calculated/played ? Will both start too shoot at the P51 or will only the idle on or will none ? will there be a decress (and how) in effectivnes in the bomb/rockets droped ?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>each will be a stand alone game<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Arrrgh! Say it ain't so Steve, Say it ain't so!

I was so hopeing that each new theater would be a supplement to the original game. frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>No quick modules either<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does not have to be a quick supplement. wink.gif I think we will all be quite busy with the original CM while you guys are slaving away on CM2.

The main reason that I am hopeing for supplements instead of independent games is that the new game feature or terrain features (such as the addition of river currents expected for CM2) would be updated in the original game.

Charles & Steve:

Lets face it, you guys have done a yoemans job on CM but, I am confident that you guys will continue to improve the game system and computer technology will advance greatly(some fabulous prophecy right?, just call me Nostradamus). The players will move on to the newer games and without support the Western Theater will wither on the vine. I know you guys do not care for this type of comparison but here goes...(CM fathers, fogive me for my grognard sins). In my honest opinion, I think a major contributor to the success of SL/ASL series was the supplements. The game underwent continual improvement and even went back to improve systems of the original game when it was required. This continually freshened the game to players and thus it has enjoyed a following and lifespan enjoyed by few other games.

------------------

Rhet

The nice part about a game like this is that it can be broken down into three distinctive parts: the units, the maps, and the basic game engine. The game engine can be improved while still allowing the use of old maps and old units. For example, if a new game engine uses 10m x 10m tiles instead of 20m x 20m tiles, that does not necessarily prevent the use of old maps. The problem comes when some sort of trick is used to get the higher resolution that prevents the use of old maps. Some workarounds may include map converters or re-releasing all the old maps. The same goes with units. A Panther may stay a Panther in the new game engine, but if the engine is designed to include new data about units, then some sort of conversion process will have to take place. Problems like these have been plaguing game designers since the Commodore 64 days.

Thorsten

Guest Big Time Software

Hehe Tom, that is very funny! And who had that quote? Why, the smartest man in the computer biz of course. Or is he the most ruthless? I think the courts are going to decide that VERY soon, and it don't look good for the Redmond boys wink.gif

Rhet,

The truth is that CM2 (or what we call CM2) will not come out for about 3-4 years. This will be basically a whole new engine taking full advantage of whatever stuff will be available to gamers in 5-6 years from now. In the mean time CM will be expanded and enhanced, but probably not fundamentally changed. For example, terrain resolution will likely remain as is but we might have more variety with the houses.

The problem with supporting previous file formats is one that is tough to deal with from a coding standpoint. Not IMPOSSIBLE mind you, but tough. We have not rulled out backwards compatibility, but will not know for sure until we see what changes are needed for the Eastern Front.

For what it is worth, we really WANT the Western Front stuff to be able to work with each release so that it can take advantage of improvements. But the sequel itself (i.e. the CM - Eastern Front) will be stand alone no matter what. If we can backwards support the Western Front with Eastern Front improvements it would be released seperately (as a patch or an enhancement, depending on timing and effort to make).

Steve