I am tired, are you tired, too?

On the information bar as seen in a few screenshots, the information "rested" appears. Also, in the "Spotting" section, the suggestion is made that the US recon team should have taken the longer, "more tiring" route through the woods.

So exhaustion of units seems to be simulated. Here a couple of questions to that:

will units tire quicker when moving through difficult terrain like marshes, thick forest and/or moving constantly at a fast pace (i.e. running)?

will units tire more from turn to turn? Since CM simulates, say, 30-60 minutes of continuous combat in a single game, I would expect that ALL units, regardless of what they are actually doing, should be more tired at the end (e.g. because of the stress of being under fire - i.e. adrenaline...).

However, what will the effects be that tired units have to suffer from? I would imagine that they move slower, lose firing effectiveness, react slower to player's orders etc.

And finally, would tired or exhausted units be able to go back to "rested" within the short timeframe of a single game? (not that I want to indicate by the phrasing of this question that they shouldn't... wink.gif )

Guest Big Time Software

Keen eye there Mr. Moon smile.gif Here are some answers...

>will units tire quicker when moving through difficult terrain like marshes, thick forest and/or moving constantly at a fast pace (i.e. running)?

Most certainly. The faster you move your guys, and the worse the terrain, the more tired they will become. Best to let them rest up every so often if the going is tough.

>will units tire more from turn to turn?

There is no accumulation of fatigue from turn to turn. This pretty much happens on its own. If you have been moving your guys and having them do heavy combat turn after turn after turn, they are going to be pretty much used up. So if you don't pace yourself, all of your troops might be exhausted in the first couple of turns. This could take several turns to recoup unit condition (Exhausted units take about 2 turns to get back into shape).

>what will the effects be that tired units have to suffer from? I would imagine that they move slower, lose firing effectiveness, react slower to player's orders etc.

You guessed it. And they will also ignore orders depending on how tired they are. If you tell a really spent unit to run from A to B, don't expect them to even budge. They will sit there and wait until they are rested or you give a more acceptable order.

>And finally, would tired or exhausted units be able to go back to "rested" within the short timeframe of a single game?

If you use "Run" sparingly, don't get them into tough firefights, or have them get panicked, units will generally be serviceable for the whole game. Realistically combat conditions make it difficult to keep men on the move and actively engaged without running them down. CM reflects this all too well. More than once I have had to hold up an entire company wide attack because the "forming up" movement sapped key units of their ability to follow through on my attack plans. In other words, they might be "Tired" (medium fatigue), which ain't going to cut it for long if they are trying to get across a field, take a house, then advance to some woods on the other side. They might just get to the house, then have to hold up, which might not be such a good thing.

Oh, and certain units will tire more easily. For example, a US .50cal team moves like molasses AND tires out fairly quickly. Same for a 81mm mortar team. So slow pace and constant rest periods are necessary for these guys. Definitely makes tactics more interesting.

Steve