US & Commonwealth Forces in same mission?

Hi

Can you have US and Commonwealth forces in the same mission? ...and the same question for army/ss German forces for that matter?

and if yes...is this an option in the QB or do you have to design your own missions for this?

I'm sure I will buy the Commonwealth module no matter what...sooner or later anyway!!

Thanks

Simon

It's not an option for Quick Battles, as far as I know, but I know for a fact you can set it up in the editor. It has been an option as far back as the original Shock Force release, I think, but it's kind of tricky. You have to pick some forces, switch your army and then pick new forces.

I used it to make insurgents and Syrian units fight alongside American units in CMSF.

It's not an option for Quick Battles, as far as I know, but I know for a fact you can set it up in the editor. It has been an option as far back as the original Shock Force release, I think, but it's kind of tricky. You have to pick some forces, switch your army and then pick new forces.

FYI that is only needed if you want Allied and Axis forces on the same side. No switching of sides is needed for making a scenario with US and CW forces on the same side. Or for US vs. CW forces, which works even in QBs. The same applies for German services (Wehrmacht, Waffen SS, Luftwaffe FD).

But like you said it's not possible to have mixed US/CW or Wehrmacht/SS forces in a Quick Battle.

Yes, the definitely did. I don't have time to cite units and dates, but if you read Ken Tout's books about his experiences as a Brit tanker in Normandy, they sometimes operated directly with US infantry along the W edge of the British sector and the E edge of the American sector.

More often, though, it might be a situation where an adjacent American and a Brit battalion were coordinating their simultaneous attacks and attending each other's "O Group" to make sure they knew what each other were doing so they wouldn't accidentally shoot at each other or get in each other's way.

And of course when we get to Operation Market Garden, you'll have all the British armor operating closely with the US 101st and 82nd Airborne Divisions.

ok thanks for answers

Makes me wonder if US/CW forces actually fought along side each other at the tactical level very often in WW2?

Cheers

Simon

ok thanks for answers

Makes me wonder if US/CW forces actually fought along side each other at the tactical level very often in WW2?

Cheers

Simon

No. Occasionally US and Commonwealth units were mixed together under a corps, but that was an exception. Most of the time US and Commonwealth units were assigned to their respective armies and there wasn't intermixing (odd exceptions, like Market Garden). Both armies had their own doctrines, favorite commanders and so on; they each did things their own ways. Of course, there would be some unit overlap from time to time (eg at the boundary near Caumont between the US and Brits) but there wouldn't be the level of coordination that you see in CM fights.