Combat Mission meets Carmageddon

Some time ago I downloaded a film of an AAR, right from CMHQ. It was from a PBEM game in Last Defense.

After the allied reinforcements arrived, a Hellcat drove all the way down the hill (very fast indeed) and rammed two German halftracks that were standing on the road. The halftracks didn't take any damage, neither did their crews. They were merely displaced out of the Hellcat's path. The fact is that they weren't even TOUCHED by the tank, and they seemed to be repelled by some kind of force field surrounding the Hellcat's hull.

I'm pretty sure the answer to this behaviour will be 'Tank ramming wasn't a commonly used tactic'. Ok, don't mistake this (I love the job you BTS lads are doing) but may the Devil feed with my soul if I care. Go tell tank commanders at Kursk if tank collisions didn't happen...

Ok, I don't want to make CM a new Carmageddon version smile.gif Actually BOTH tanks should be damaged from a collision. But this collision should actually happen for reality's sake. I have seen a Stug moving a knocked out Tiger from a road without even slowing down. And this SURE seemed strange to me. To me, if a tank is reluctant to move, it should be totally inmovable. And both roads and bridges were often blocked by knocked out tanks (so you had to wait for the engineers or just surround the tank). I do think this SHOULD be modelled.

If tanks won't be damaged by collisions (I think it would be wrong to overlook collision damage) let's at least make those tanks inmovable. The Tiger moving Stug was a little damned game engine spoiler... smile.gif

------------------

Regards

Reverendo

Tank collisions not happen in battle? Don't tell SS-Hauptsturmführer Michael Wittmann:

"....the heavy Tiger thundered towards the British, shuddering only slightly as the heavy gun fired shell after shell into the mass of machines. Half-tracks, carriers and tanks were smashed by 88 mm shells, and then with a final burst of speed the 55 ton steel monster, destroying in its rush a British tank which it met on the narrow path, crashed through the junction, was swung in a tight arc onto the roadway and began its descent upon the vehicles lined up outside the village and along the narrow high street."

He was also decorated at Kursk for clearing his vehicle deck of Russians with an MP after they had deliberately rammed his tank with their T34.

"The Canadians brought an end to the career of SS-Hauptsturmführer Wittmann. His Tiger I tank fell to a co-ordinated salvo fired by five Shermans on which he was making a single-handed attack. It was a fitting end for the leading tank ace of the Second World War.

"He was credited with the destruction of 138 Allied tanks and 132 anti-tank guns in less than two years."

Used without permission from http://www.valourandhorror.com/DB/PERSON/Wittman.htm and other sources.

Not there either.

I'm sure the 1NY would be suprised at being in the Canadian army, the web site you quote is interesting but not exactly reliable.

On the subject of ramming. If your vehicle is unable to damage the other or the situation is such (ie very close range) it is not such a silly idea. I have read of a few instances on the Western Front. For example at least one Kangaroo driver was awarded a medal for ramming a Tiger and taking the crew captive. Tout describes another ramming a ?Jagdpanther. Hastings I think also quotes a Sherman commander who rammed a Tiger, baled out, and went and got a Firefly to deal with it. smile.gif