Task force Raff Question

Hi all, I'm completely new to Combat Mission Games.

I made my way through the Devon Basic training missions and started on Task Force Raff.

I have been following along with the tutorial information in the manual. I'm having a problem with spotting. I stick my scout team in the observation point (and later the company hq) and they can't see anything.

The tutorial is trying to get me to indirect fire the mortar, but that isn't an option, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, or if there maybe was a patch that made spotting more difficult after the manual was written.

Eventually, I moved one mortar team up to the overwatch position, where they did a good job of laying the hurt on forces in the vicinity of the crossroads. The second that eventually shows up, I did nothing with.

I ended up with a Total Victory, but I'm definitely worried that my inability to effectively use mortars is going to be a massive issue in tougher scenarios.

You are not doing anything wrong. The way LOS is calculated through brush and trees was changed after that map and tutorial was created. When CMBN was new you could use that building as an OP but with the changes you really cant.

You did the correct thing. The hegerow (overwatch) makes for a great spot to send your mortars.

I put the company HQ in the top floor of the farmhouse and the mortars within voice range. As long as the HQ can see an area where an important enemy unit is located, it doesn't matter if it can identify the unit itself, the HQ can still direct a mortar onto it. This takes a bit of careful play, but it works.

Michael

Thank you both.

I tried it again, this time the spotters didn't see anything from the house. In any event, I moved both mortars to overwatch and was successful suppressing the enemy from that location.

I did much better in terms of total casualties, and speed of the win.

In any case, glad to know that I'm not the problem.