I need some help

First time I've played the game, am working my way through the 1939 World at War campaign.

I have a couple of questions.

1) I decided not to accept the Vinchy Government in France. I've taken the whole country except for the city of Bordeux. There is only one French unit left on the map the Gamelin HQ which is occupying Bordeux. I can't seem to eliminate this unit. I have three Armored Divisions and two Corps surrounding the city and I can't take it. The HQ is inflicting 1-2 damage on every unit that attacks and taking at most 1 damage with each attack. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

2) Japan vs. China. Holy cow the Chinese are tough. I can't seem to make any headway against them. I'm using air power (tactical bombers and strategic bombers to try to weaken a unit before I attack but even with Armies going against corps I never seem to be able to kill a unit. Then they re enforce to 10 after every round.

3) Where is artillery in this game? I see the Germans can have rocket artillery and rail guns, but where is the normal artillery? How do you soften up entrenched enemy units before you attack?

1) HQ in Bordeaux -an HQ should not normally inflict pain on you. Key thing is to look at your morale and supply levels of your units. It may be that with Paris recently captured and reduced that your supply is very low. Hit the key "s" . THis will show you supply levels on the map. Then review the supply rules to see how get yourself enough supply by putting an HQ of your own close enough to a supply source to then provide supply to your units near Bordeau. You should not be having this trouble. BTW events like vichy are in the back of the manual. YOu will need to take algiers now to force french surrender. Vichy is normally the easier choice. My other guess is that the hq gamelin has won enough battles that it has gained enough experience to actually have some combat strength. Hence it hurts you now. Check how many stars it has.

2)The chinese are tough. Are you on patch 1.01 Gold? The original Gold has them too hard. The key to killing chinese is focus. Get a bunch of units near the target. Hit it with morale reducing attacks (look up in manual). Then rotate units in to attack (using shift key movement if need be). IT will often take 4 to 7 different units attacking. Note that attacks originating in tough terrain versus tough terrain are especially tough. China is full of that. Easier attacks are typically to south and north in china. You will need to gain some real experience of play before you can take the chinese on well.

3)Artillery was mostly removed for the scale of this global game. It was present in the earlier european theater versions of this game. To soften up enemies review the manual on what units remove entrenchments and reduce morale. Their is an art to destroying entrenched units.

Persevere. The game is winnable as the axis but it takes experience and skill :-) Read the combat and supply sections of the manual carefully.

Good luck

First time I've played the game, am working my way through the 1939 World at War campaign.

I have a couple of questions.

1) I decided not to accept the Vinchy Government in France. I've taken the whole country except for the city of Bordeux. There is only one French unit left on the map the Gamelin HQ which is occupying Bordeux. I can't seem to eliminate this unit. I have three Armored Divisions and two Corps surrounding the city and I can't take it. The HQ is inflicting 1-2 damage on every unit that attacks and taking at most 1 damage with each attack. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

2) Japan vs. China. Holy cow the Chinese are tough. I can't seem to make any headway against them. I'm using air power (tactical bombers and strategic bombers to try to weaken a unit before I attack but even with Armies going against corps I never seem to be able to kill a unit. Then they re enforce to 10 after every round.

3) Where is artillery in this game? I see the Germans can have rocket artillery and rail guns, but where is the normal artillery? How do you soften up entrenched enemy units before you attack?

I'm not an expert in SC: Glogal conflict but here comes my answer:

1) Probably the level of supply of you units, they may be operating in a level of 5 or less supply. Another thing might be command, there might be no HQ supporting your units, this diminishes the effect of a unit greatly.

2) Not sure what you should do here, probably coordenate the atks using better HQ's and try more focused atks. Another vet player might have a better answer for this one.

3) There is no normal aty, as far as I know, at disposal for countries like germany, It's because of the scale, the map is in a global scale, so individual arty units would make no sense. Use Air power, naval power and special forces to soften up the targets. Always remember to set your HQs to command the exact units you going to need for the assault.

Edited: Darn lhughes41, you were faster :)