PBEM Save Game Problems

When playing multiple PBEM games in CWG2, I encountered the following problem (among many others) that I hope you will test for/correct in CM:

I might sit down to catch up on two different PBEM games all at once. Load the first, plot moves, execute, hit Ctrl-S to save. I'd get the pop up box asking me to enter the name of the game to be saved.

Load the second, plot moves, execute, hit Ctrl-S to save. This time, no pop up box, and the game would automatically save the SECOND game with the save-name of the FIRST game. AAAGHHH!!!!!

Two comments: Obviously, this is "operator error," but I suspect it could be easily prevented through a programming option.

Second, this really louses things up if you don't catch it right away. For instance, you email out the save-game to the first guy thinking it is the first game, because it has the first game name, but it is actually the second game. The other guy tries to load it and GRRRRRRR. *Error* *Error* *Error*

Admission: I am close to being a PBEM novice. The only PBEM game I have any experience with is CWG2, and as I've mentioned before and confirmed with many others, including Ken Parker, the PBEM for that game is, for all practical purposes, unplayable. Can't remember anyone who ever made it more than half way through a CWG2 PBEM game, due to one error or another.

------------------

Zackary

Hello, rwcanuck,

Steve of BTS addressed this issue extensively a month or two ago. I don't remember the specifics of his discussion now, but you can use the search function to find it.

The long and the short of it is that you never see the execution of your moves after you plot. In other words, I think you have to send your turn to your opponent after you plot, and your opponent will execute it. Then your opponent plots and sends the game back to you. You execute, then plot, then send, ad nauseum. The point is, you cannot scout, restart, scout in another direction, restart, redo when you walk into an ambush, etc....

Steve was very adamant that that stuff could not happen because of the way they set up the PBEM part of the game. Now that I've put words in his mouth, Steve will probably jump on here and correct me. <gulp>

Guest Big Time Software

Hi Zackary,

What you found in CWG2 is a neat little bug. It would have been an easy fix if we found that one during testing smile.gif So don't go blaming yourself for a coding problem!

I know CM doesn't have this problem for sure, so no worries smile.gif

Steve

Steve, just curious. Did you recently talk to Ironrod or someone else over at Impressions about the CWG2 bug? Reason I ask is that, last time we discussed it here, I got the impression (pardon the pun) that it was news to you and that all of your PBEM testing during QA for that game worked great. Again, just my curiosity running down my arms and through my fingertips.

I share Zack's concerns. That bug was one of my greatest disappointments in CWG2 because it caused two major failures -- ghost units and PBEM crashes. frown.gif But in a backhanded way this also speaks volumes for the game because I have played it at least 30 times more than any other game, and still enjoy it in spite of that bug. In fact, Zack and I are currently in the middle of a tournament game at Gaines Mill, lol!! wink.gif

Pixman

------------------

The enchanter may confuse the outcome, but the effort remains sublime.

Guest Big Time Software

Pixman, the bug Zackary described is something different. What he mentioned is that the game automatically saves when you hit Ctrl-S to whatever file is loaded. This is fine if you are only playing one game, but when you load the second file (without quitting) CWG2 doesn't recognize that it is new and Ctrl-S simply overwrites the second one instead of asking the user to create a new file. It would be an easy fix to make, and if we had ever played to concurrent PBEM games at one time we would have found it.

As for the bug you and a few other people on this board talked about, I still have no idea what that one is smile.gif Never bit us during our testing, and boy did we test that sucker. Obviously we missed something, or a bug was introduced in subsequent patches, but beats me what it is since I haven't played the game in 2 years smile.gif

Nope, no communications with Ironrod. In fact, I have no idea who he is smile.gif Either he is one of my old co-workers using a name I've never heard or it is someone that got hired after I left. Turnover in game companies is generally pretty high...

Steve

Thanks Steve for clearing up my bug confusion.

I suspect Ironrod is an old coworker under a name with which you are not familiar. I say this because he has often referred to being involved with the CWG2 development in his responses to some questions about CWG3.

Once again, great job on that game and I am so looking forward to this one.

Pixman

------------------

The enchanter may confuse the outcome, but the effort remains sublime.

Guest Big Time Software

OH! Hehe... next time you chat with him, say "hello" from me. As far as his new handle goes, ask him if he suddenly got a case of aracnaphobia wink.gif

Steve