Strategic AI

How will the Strategic AI work?

Will the S-AI base it's overall plan on doctrine? Is this even possible? I would expect it wouldn't be too hard, excepting you would have a different S-AI for each country's army...

Will it use real world tactics?

The reason I ask, is that no other game I have played has done this sort of thing, and the AI is very predictable.

[This message has been edited by Bil Hardenberger (edited 09-28-99).]

[This message has been edited by Bil Hardenberger (edited 09-28-99).]

Guest Big Time Software

Hi Bil,

The StratAI does not explicitly move units around based on doctrine. We might have to change this for the Eastern Front, but for the Western Front both sides basically used the same core tactics of combined arms. The differences come with the employment of different weapons. For example, the Germans liked to try and get massive standoff ranges for their tanks while Allies wanted to close the distance as quick as possible since their guns were very often ineffective at long distances.

More differences come in the availability of different support units. The Allies should have artillery and air support more often than the Germans, while only the Germans get to have things like Bunkers and Pillboxes.

The AI's planning is dynamic and sensible. The first game I played (just tossed some stuff down quickly) the AI was playing the Allies and split its tanks up into three groups. Two flanked me from opposite sides while the middle one (the larger group) stood fast. I'm telling you it surprised the heck out of me smile.gif Unfortunately the StratAI didn't know that I had left a Jagdtiger behind to guard one of my flanks smile.gif But the other one managed to disable a Jagdtiger and damage a Tiger 1 E before getting knocked out. I haven't had time to play with it much, but I know Fionn and Martin aren't finding it easy to beat. Not to say the StratAI is perfect and is in need of no improvements (still has yet to learn about keeping HQs close to their units for example), but it is probably better than most final AIs already.

Steve