Proposal for a "Reserve" setting

Given the constant problem in WW1 of having the defender able to assemble reserves and counterattack faster than an attacker could exploit success, wouldn't it be cool if units behind a defending tile could be tagged with a 'Reserve' setting which would allow them (if they are not in an enemy ZOC) to move into an adjacent tile vacated by a successful enemy attack. TOAW has this feature and I think it would work great for SCWW1. This would simulate the black hole meat grinders that many west front battles became. It would also ameliorate the problem of single defending tiles being generally helpless against the dreaded 8 corps alternating attack.

Another issue it would be help with:

Let's say the attacker eliminates a defender, but doesn't advance into the newly empty tile. At the end of the turn all the defender's entrenchments disappear completely, so if the defender wants to reoccupy his own defenses on the ensuing turn he is now completely out in the open and sure to get smashed by the entrenched enemy corps in adjacent tiles.

This is a large part of what fosters those silly west front lines that have long stretches of empty tiles between them, with both sides afraid to enter the space.

However, this defensive improvement would need an offensive stacking improvement as well. This is why I suggested triple stacking and disallowing corner attacks - in defense you'd have one in the lead, the rest in reserve ready to take its place should it break or flee.

Once again the new feature of "Density of Deployment" would account for a reserve orientation and even a counterattacking force in the tile that was being targeted, all set up by the owning player.

If crafted thoughtfully, you could also enumerate a certain part of the force to conduct a rear guard while the rest of the formation retreated, thereby denying the hex/tile to the enemy for one turn.

Obviously this will be up to the "SC-3team" to design into the next installment, but the possible actions of the numerous echelons of a tile/hex deployment are limitless.

Indeed, however, you want all of this to work as intuitively as possible. That's why I thought stacking with one unit clearly in front (larger icon than the rest, in the front facing) and three "slots" to fill in each tile could work?

If you need to set it up through the right click menu or something, while that's good for us, might not be as intuitive to new players? And since it'd be a core mechanic then, it needs to be intuitive.

But I don't really know your suggestion thoroughly enough to properly comment on it.