There will be a change in the weather?

From the Combat Mission front page:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Fight during the day, at night, or into the early hours of the next day. It all depends on the campaign and your skills<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does this mean that the weather can change durring a battle? If so, this is just too cool! Imagine having a battle start just prior to dawn. During the course of the battle the skies would brighten and sighting distance would increase. The attacker could use the early darkness to close with the defender and if timed correctly, have his forces in proper position when effective lighting conditions materialize (just like the real thing).

Is weather going to be a random, fixed or selectable variable for battles and/or campaigns?

Finally, does weather in CM effect morale? If so does it effect it on either a unit base or a global base? I ask since bad weather usually affected the "home team" a little less than the visitors (eg. Battle of the Bulge & The Russian Campaign).

------------------

Rhet

Guest Big Time Software

Yes, weather and lighting can change, but not within a battle. Scenarios are too short for that to really be worth the extra coding time. Weather/lighting changes will be determined at the beginning of each battle in a campaign acording to the time of day and the scenario designer's specifications. This means your first battle could be a dawn with a thick fog, your last battle at night in the rain. Well, that is what we are shooting for anyways! Individual scenarios will be preset by the designer.

Steve

• 6 months later...
Guest Big Time Software

HAHA!! I thought this post was just added, not dug up from the past. The reason why I laughed is that our testers just got their first whack at Operations (formerly called Campaigns) chaning weather on them. We heard a couple of "thuds" as jaws hit laps when one battle had rain and the next had damp ground, or when it snowed in one and had deep snow a battle or two later.

As for patchy Fog, no, we have none of that. Too much environmental modeling would be needed to make this happen. Plus, graphically Fog is basically an on/off sort of thing. This isn't something that we can control so far as I know, rather it is how the hardware works.

Steve