Marshall Cavendish WW1 encyclopedia set

Since my local library system is pathetic when it comes to WW1, I was delighted recently to come upon the "Marshall Cavendish Illustrated Encyclopedia of World War I." This is a truly stunning 12 volume history of WW1. Each book runs around 300 oversize, small-print pages that are heavily illustrated with photos and color maps. The text itself is densely detailed and covers all aspects of the war. Less the typical encyclopedia, it can be read almost as a narrative of the war. Each chapter is written by a different author, often a military officer. I'm sure some of the material is dated by now, but the 1914 Serbian campaign chapter is the best I've ever read (if one discounts the Serb nationalist tone of the Serbian general officer that wrote the essay).

I've finished the first volume. There is a heavy British bias overall, with many chapters following the exploits of the small BEF, leaving the vastly larger French armies somewhat in the background (this is not surprising given the publisher is a UK one).

Maybe Bill can elaborate, but apparently this Marshall Cavendish publisher has created encyclopedia sets for just about every subject under the sun, from gardening to whatever. Unfortunately, the 1986 American publisher of the WW1 volumes only made them available for libraries, although I shudder to imagine what the set would cost to own.

These sound interesting, and I think I might have seen some volumes in the past in second hand bookshops. Unfortunately the amount of shelf space required can be a problem, but they do look pretty good!

There is at least one thematic encyclopedia in existence in English. A friend photocopied a section of one for me some years ago because it contained a really good article on artillery in WWI. But when I was initially researching this game I came across an ebook encyclopedia that cost an amazing $450!!