Questions about fortifications

First of all I would like to congratulate you on your inovative game design principles. So many computer wargames are nothing but computerized board games. The level of detail you are implementing is extrodinary! From what I read so far I understand pillboxes and foxholes will be modeled. I have a some questions:

1)Will cement pillboxes and log/earthen bunkers be modeled sperately?

2)Will trenches be modeled?

3)Will AP and AT mines be modeled seperately?

4)Are wire and roadblocks modeled?

5)How are lanes cleared through minefields? Is the time required outside the scope of the game?

Thanks in advance. -Keith Schur

Guest Big Time Software

Thanks Keith!

Fortifications that we have are:

Concrete Pillbox - AT gun (75 or 88)

Concrete Pillbox - HMG 42

Wooden Pillbox - HMG 42

Barbed Wire

Anti-personnel mines

Anti-tank mines (burried)

Anti-tank daisy chain (hasty)

Roadblock

Foxholes

(I feel like I am forgetting something...)

We decided to not do trenches for now. Not very common and problematic for our system as is. Something that IS on our list for future though.

There are no lane clearing for minefields. It is beyond the scope of CM to have minefields cleared in any meaningful way. Better to just back up and try some other spot. You can risk it of course wink.gif Mines on hard surfaced roads are automatically avoided if the vehicle is going slow through the mine patch. Go fast at your own risk!

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

I'm pretty sure they are just mines laid out in a "chain" (i.e. in a line). They are not supposed to trick anybody, just cause them to blow up if not careful, or to stop and start swearing that they can't continue.

In the Hürtgen Forest there was a trail going to the town of Kommerscheidt. Narrow, winding track that was the ONLY way for the US forces to get to Kommerscheidt and the town further (Schmidt). The Germans kept sneaking guys up there (over a period of days) with Tellar mines. They would just toss them up onto the road (they came from downslope) just before a tight corner. When the US forces came down the road BOOM. After a while they started walking the trail before driving, but there were other ambushes. A Weasel got nailed with a Panzerfaust one time frown.gif

Steve

Got a couple of more ideas to throw at your: dragon's teeth, steel pillboxes, concrete mortar emplacements and static tank turrets.

Also...concealed bunkers/pillboxes. Germans used to hide bunkers by enclosing them in wooden structures simulating a regular house. You get a bit too close, and that nice Alpine winter house sprouts a AT gun through the window.

And lastly, I remember you mentioned making some AT/IG man-haulable. I've just came across a photo of a Russian squad (8 men) hauling a Zis 76mm divisional gun across a creek at a run. Those things were not too heavy, all be told...A 75 Pak 40 was about 3000 lbs, which is about what an average car is, about the same as 150 mm IG.

Guest Big Time Software

Sorry, but we aren't adding any more fortification types at this point. We have gone for the common types and left out the oddball stuff...

Dragon's teeth were only part of the West Wall and were, in most places, bypassed or driven through without opposition. The few accounts I read about them made me come away with the felling that they were pretty much useless. US forces ran up against them, brought in some big stuff, blasted them or filled around them with dirt. Made for great pictures though (for Germans before they lost the line, then Allied propaganda after it was breeched).

CM's Pillboxes/bunkers are hidden until spotted, but concealed pillboxes were rare in real life. The only ones I can think of were part of the Atlantic Wall defenses, which aren't simulated at all. Prefab tank turret pillboxes weren't to be found on the Western Front in any significant numbers. They were, however, common in at least two defensive lines in Italy and several places in the East. So we will included them there. Haven't read anything about concrete mortar emplacements.

Steve