FACs

Quick question for the Beta Testers or BTS.

How are forward air controllers handled in this game? I know that land-to-air communications were primitive by today's standards. However, one of the tactical innovations made by the U.S. army was to experiment with integrating air and artillery on the same radio channels. This happened as early as July 1944. By the time of the breakout following operation Cobra, there were FACs that could communicate with aircraft using radios in Jeeps and AFVs. These FACs were often assigned down to the battalion level for the opening of large-scale battles. By the same token, the spotters in the Piper Cubs could communicate with both Air and Arty. (Source: Ambrose's Citizen Solders).

Does CM model this at all? Just to clarify, I am not at all suggesting anything remotely like SP with its micromanaged airstrikes unrealistic even by today's standards. However, perhaps with U.S. units air strikes could be handled as an artillery attack called for by a FO on an area target? If there is a tank company advancing across a field, a FAC could direct air support to that general area ASAP and pray that it shows up on time.

Josh, check out the "Alpha Battle AAR!!! A Classic!" at TGN. There is an example of CAirS in that battle.

The short answer is that you have no control over air assets.

Jon

------------------

Quo Fas et Vino du Femme

LOS - Thanks. So this is some level of control, but no micromanagement. Sounds good to me.

Jon - The AAR at TGN - Why do you think I am here? I remember comming to this site months before the AAR and not getting hooked. The AAR really sold me on CM.