4.2" Mortars

Maybe it's just me, but I've not seen a lot of these in any of the missions I've played. It seems like there should be a lot more of them:

Chemical mortar battalions were not assigned as integral parts of divisions or other units. As other units went into combat, chemical mortar battalions were attached to them as support. In 1943 General Mark Clark's Fifth Army established a policy that no infantry division would be committed to combat without a chemical mortar battalion attached. As a result when infantry units were rotated out of combat, the mortar battalions often stayed in the line and were attached to the fresh infantry unit. Chemical mortars were in such high demand that often the companies of a battalion would be split up and assigned to different divisions. Two antiaircraft battalions in Fifth Army were retrained as chemical mortar battalions (99th and 100th.) On the first day that General George Patton's Third Army became operational in the summer of 1944, he issued a standing order to his staff that no infantry division would be committed to combat without a chemical mortar battalion attached, and no infantry regiment would be committed without a mortar company attached.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_mortar_battalion

I love the things and will have them featured soon™.

Pros -

almost 50/50 smoke

HE is very nice

Smoke screens are breath-taking

Cons -

I believe they are FO-only access

Long target times even so

------

Test one out. The smoke screen they generate can be a two-edged sword. A linear with the right wind can cover a fair percentage of a nice map with smoke for a good while.

I could make an American AI plan with those shooting constant smoke along the upwind map edge to make a forest fire scenario.

-