Corrupted save games still haunting

JVril

Uh, I was moaning about this here earlier, too, but...

The thing is that CMBB crashes painfully often in the larger scenarios (W2K, 1,5G, Radeon 64). This is not too bad, since it really doesn't take that long to reboot and load the saved game. The problem just is that the saved games, including the autosave, connected to the scenario that crashed are corrupted (it's always "German vs. German, 0 turns, tiny").

A good tip by Madmatt was to turn off the W2K indexing of the folder - the next time the game crashed I was able to load an intact save game and continue from there. Unfortunately, this is not the rule. I basically gave this fine game up after trying to play the Stalingrad pack, playing five successive scenarios with careful tactical planning building up to a climax - only to have the game crash and leave me with a corrupted save game.

Does this happen to anyone else? Could some kind of a solution be worked out in a future patch? Should I go back to Win98? Should I get a life?

• 2 weeks later...

...and yes, if anyone's interested:

The resulting corrupted CME and CMF files seem to be BLANK, there is nothing whatsoever on them if opened w/ a text editor - although the file size is still about the same as original.

Am I really the only one left out of the Eastern Front action through this pain-in-the-ass thrice-cursed bug?

I have been running win2000 and CMxx on several boxes with no similar issues.

Is this an upgraded NT4 install? Then you are probably running NTFS4 which might be the issue. Do you have a different physical disk drive? If so, try copying CMBB to that drive and playing it off there. Also, try saving the game manually--rather than relying on the autosave. It would be interesting to know if it can save successfully.

WWB

• 3 weeks later...

I have had this same problem with CM:BO. Last night I was playing the Arnhem- Red Devils operation included with the game. It was about turn 11 of the second battle. I saved the game under two separate files, and later when I tried to load either one, they caused a crash to desktop. Furthermore, the autosave also caused a crash. I could load other saves normally including one made earlier in the operation. It is very frustrating and disappointing that a bug of this nature still haunts the game. I also have Win2000, a fresh install. Is there something I can do about this? Are the saves repairable somehow?