WIP take the high ground - Campaign

US forces against German A.I

The testing of the recon phase is nearly done. The last remaining testers should send their copy at the earliest.

The probe of the enemy lines start at 06:30 AM for a 30 minutes or so duration.

Weather: Mist and rain, gentle wind temperature warm, ground damp.

The testing of the assault following the recon probe is underway

That assault consists in seizing the hills and the key ground features leading to the town it starts, just after the recon probe at 07:45 AM for a 2 hours and 30 minutes duration.

Weather: light fog. Light wind, warm and damp.

For that assault the light fog is a bonus for the US forces, the average LOS being around 400 to 500 meters. That prevents somehow the risk of being engaged by AT guns during the approach phase from a longer distance.

For the time being, the A.I is reacting quite convincingly and the battle demands to deploy the tactical drills from that period, if one wants to succeed without appealing losses.

I have tested few times the battle and stopped between the 1 hour 30 minutes and or 30 minutes time remaining. The town was not taken, since the troops were only starting to find a way to get out of the hills woods and through the left village.

I played it safely, avoiding as much as I could to expose my vehicles and troops. It takes some time to move more or less safely, after having destroyed potential threats. Doing otherwise is to commit suicide.

That safe approach sounds logic. Since the German are defending the town, all the avenues of approach are mostly covered or at least they try.

I have found that the 2 Priest assigned to the attacking Company were fantastic to reduce to rubbles the houses of the left village. If defenders were there, they must be under it, after such a pounding.

2 M8 SP guns equally assigned were perfect to clear the way to the attacking Platoons squads.

2 M10 TD arriving after an hour or so have not been engaged for the time being. They stay at the rear to cover the approach of an eventual German flank or front Counter attack by tanks.

That does not mean that it will be incorporated in the A.I of the release battle

I have omitted to let you know that a rocket battery was available within 5 minutes of the start of the assault. Unfortunately, I have not been able to use them to effect due to the reduce LOS. The light fog gives advantage to both sides!

Here after 2 pictures to illustrate that probe by Cavalry Recon Combat Team and that attack by the D Company and attached forces.

leftflankprobe.jpg

leftflankassault.jpg

If you want to see the WIP previous post and pictures here is the link

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=100895