Suggestion

rich12545

Wait, what? It wouldn't surprise me if the AI was sending units after enemy units that are nearby (even if they are outside view range).

Heh, it looks like I misunderstood what you said.

30% is a very large production bonus imo. It's no wonder Jeep felt overpowered. I would look at maybe 5% on veteran and 10% on expert. If each side has 10 cities even that amount can add up to a lot after 20-30 turns.

Funny you should mention civ4. I just picked up the complete for about $6 on sale over the holidays. It seems the general consensus is 4 is the best version including 5.

I'm not so sure the AI needs to do all that many (or any at all) patrols before invading an island. Good patrols would be difficult to do even for a human without long range aircraft. And all that would be time consuming to program anyway. What we're looking at is improving to be good enough without a lot of extra time. Maybe a good solution would be:

1. If it's neutral just send the transport. Plus 0-2 units.

2. If it's enemy send 1-3 transports plus a number of units between x and y. That could be between two and 5 or 6 on a random basis or some sort of simple formula to account for different kinds of units. I haven't really thought it out in much detail yet but that's a general idea.

One other thing I have noticed is that the AI does not really avoid your warships with it's transports. The transports do seem to be "blind" to incoming warships until they are in visual range. I think once the transport "plots" it's orders it sticks to them, even if you vectored in ship to defend.