Empire Deluxe, Empire 2, EDEE

shauny1987

So, despite Rich's ranting on ai, he did mention the older empire games. Which brought me back to thinking about them.

While EoS is empiresque I think its in its own arena so they can be enjoyed side by side with EoS, rather than instead of. (as some may have said).

I was personally wondering what peoples opinions were on these three. I liked Empire 2 personally, it seemed the most polished. But I cant say ive tested the AI considerably. EDEE I havent tried at all, but I've installed the demo for a test sometime!

Empire 2 also had some nice scenarios!

I have EDEE and played it for over 5 years.

I liked it for you can turn cities off to run up the production for that city.

The AI I never found it to send ships or planes after my transports in my back area.

The AI was too head srtong for it is like army ants in it just keeps moving forward then left or right at an edge.

If you got behind the AI you won. The AI rearly turnd back to protect itself.

Empire 2 wasn't exactly an Empire game regardless of the name. It was a wargame. It wasn't 4X. First you had Empire Wargame of the Century, then Empire Deluxe, then Empire Deluxe Internet Edition and then Empire Deluxe Enhanced Edition. I played them all starting 20 years ago.

I look at EoS as a cross between EDEE and Civ, a bit closer to EDEE though. Better graphics. More features. Potential to be an all time great game.

In spite of shauny's rants about my posts I really like EoS. If I didn't I wouldn't be so insistent Brit fix it and make it the great game it can be.

Tested EDEE, seems like it could be good, but needs 'absorbing'. The Interface at first glance is painful, but im sure there are ways to streamline it to ones own preference.

The interface with the side bar has been the subject of many complaints. I never saw it as a problem. Personal taste I guess. There's a lot of stuff you can do with the sidebar once you learn it. If you're going to play the game against the computer, you'll need my mod or you'll play against a dumb as a rock AI.

Empire 2 wasn't exactly an Empire game regardless of the name. It was a wargame. It wasn't 4X. First you had Empire Wargame of the Century, then Empire Deluxe, then Empire Deluxe Internet Edition and then Empire Deluxe Enhanced Edition. I played them all starting 20 years ago.

I look at EoS as a cross between EDEE and Civ, a bit closer to EDEE though. Better graphics. More features. Potential to be an all time great game.

In spite of shauny's rants about my posts I really like EoS. If I didn't I wouldn't be so insistent Brit fix it and make it the great game it can be.

*I did mean Empire 2

I see what you mean, It is lacking in the Empire department. From my experiences Empire Deluxe is superior to all, including EDEE.

If you like Empire Deluxe you might want to go to Killer Bee and pick up EDIE. It is simply a remake of Empire Deluxe for modern computers including a somewhat better AI. The dev got the rights to Empire Deluxe so was able to do this. I played it for a couple of years before EDEE came out and it's a good game.