Round and Round

makaera

Last night I was driving a Shrike when an interesting thing happened.

First, the left front wheel was shot out. From my experience I knew that I would still have some limited maneuverability, so I attempted to move toward cover. However, as I started to turn I lost control of the vehicle. That is, no commands worked, not the throttle (in either direction), brakes, or steering controls. As far as I could tell the only damage was to the wheel, yet here I was going round in circles at constant velocity. This was the part I thought was really peculiar, I never lost speed.

I forget if I finally extracted or just committed suicide, either way I did not have any motion control.

So if anybody saw a Shrike driving in circles in the Ice Base yesterday, it was me. And no, I was not doing it on purpose, I was out of control.

I don't think that the driver was dead. However, it wasn't until afterward that I thought about it. The really peculiar part was that I stayed at a constant speed for about 2 minutes, until I abandoned the vehicle. If the driver was dead shouldn't the vehicle lose acceleration and stop?

Originally posted by Grappler:

When the driver dies, the controls stay frozen in their last state.

Let me just say that is a very cool feature.

You should also add a horn so that a driver could keep pressing it with his head after he dies. And of course, eventually drive off a cliff and crash accompanied by dramatic background music.

But seriously, cool feature.