3rd campaign mission, 'Breakthrough', victory conditions ?

EGP

Been having a real hard time with this mission. Gotten killed by the RPG gunners or the 'Sprut-B's again and again and again and.....

Anyway, finally made it past by destroying the 'Sprut-B's and killing a couple of RPG gunners.

Have arrived at the village and destroyed a vehicle outside it, a BTM-3 I believe. Proceeded inside the village, have driven around it and criscrossed the grounds without finding any more troops.

When looking at the mission objectives, it still shows 'Drive the enemy from the village' and 'Destroy the enemy artillery' in red. I have destroyed a total of four guns; one on either side of 'Enemy position 1' and the two pesky 'Sprut-B's. Left the village and drove around the countryside, visiting 'Enemy position' 1 & 2 without finding any more troops and/or guns.

Was on my way back to the village when the game froze - as usual I could almost add, as this seems to happen in virtually every mision I play, if I survive long enough.

I can of course just take advantage of the bug that the next mission gets unlocked when the game hangs like described above, but I would prefer to finish the missions the proper way. It also appears like your players stats doesn't get updated correctly when the game crashes like that, even though you can proceed with the next mission.

So, any input about what I might be missing will be most welcome.

Cheers,

Erling

*POSSIBLE SPOILER*

Hmm... looks like you missed some units if the goals are not yet checked off. Not sure what else to say.

The campaign will proceed even if you don't win a mission after a few attempts. Are you sure you're seeing a bug related to the freezing there?

Martin

Thanks guys for the replies !

Moon/Martin:

Hadn't realised that the campaign would move on regardless after a few attempts at a mission, so that may very well be what I'm seeing. Next mission got unlocked after the game had frozen for the first time in that mission, so I assumed that it was related to the freeze bug - sorry about that.

Blackmuzzle:

Here is what I have been doing with varying levels of success:

The first two guns are easy. I leave the start compound, follow the road and go straight into the landscape when it turns right, heading for 'Enemy position 1' waypoint when it shows up. When I'm about 850 m from it, I halt and blow away the two guns on either side of that waypoint.

Next I turn right and go to the bottom of the valley where I turn 180 and wait for the RPG gunners to show up. A real pain in the arse they are !! I almost never spot them before they fire on me. Sometimes I'm killed, sometimes not damaged anymore than being able to continue.

I follow the bottom of the valley past the armor obstacles. I halt shortly after passing them. Next it becomes a little tricky, as those darn 'Sprut-B' AT guns are absolutely deadly. No matter how I've tried, I get killed by the one placed slightly left on the slope ahead of you, if I expose any part of the turret/hull. My workaround is to use the AA machinegun on the cupola. If you place yourself right, it can reach the gun without exposing any part of the tank itself.

Next, I turn 90 deg left and head up the hill, slowly turning right and moving closer to 'Enemy position 2', where the second 'Sprut-B' is placed. It can again be netralized with the AA machinegun if you place yourself right (attacking it from behind). Be careful about exposing the whole tank or turret, as they are really fast at turning the gun around. Have an ambition about running over the gun from behind, crushing it (if possible), but all the times I've made it this far, the tank has been crippled by those blasted RPG gunners, usually meaning it's difficult to stear it (keeps turning to either side by itself)

Bonxa:

I'm pretty sure I did destroy the guns. The two 'Sprut-B's are burning, and the two others appear tossed about by the HE blast. Will try to make extra sure about it.

Did see some infantry at the village 1st time around, but assumed they were my own, since they didn't fire on me.

Last time I made it as far as the village though, an RPG-bastard did fire at me (without hitting). Was frantically trying to kill him when the game froze yet again, so didn't get any conclusion to that battle.

Cheers,

Erling

Yeah, I was freaking out when the TC called out 'RPG gunner, 150 meters!' when I was about to enter the village. But I got him before he got a chance to fire.

Now that you have detailed how you do this one in detail I might just as well describe my efforts as well. So...

I continue along the road a little bit and go up on the hill to the right. You are then positioned between the two infantry squads + MTLB. You then have to be careful about popping over that hill to close to the B-11 guns since they sometimes see you and promptly kill you. Try to get a good look into the valley from the 'back' of the, as far from position 1 as possible.

I then proceed to turn on the thermals and start MGing the gun positions. When you find the range (by seeing what adjustment gets the rounds on target) I load up a HE round and manually set the range. Then it's bye bye for the gun. From up on that hill you should be able to spot all the guns with some moving around. And those pesky RPG gunners are left in the valley to be dealt with by your infantry or at your leisure from long range.

Then just slam in your highest gear and run down that hill and into the village keeping a good lookout for infantry left over.

Bonxa, thnx for your description - that does sound like a better way to solve this mission.

Had thought about moving up on the hill as you describe, but dismissed the idea as I expected to end up in plain view of both 'Sprut-B' guns, and that probably doesn't get you any bonus points on your life insurance.. ;)

Had been speculating about retreating a bit towards the start point after dealing with the first two guns, to hopefully get in a better position relative to the RPG-SOBs, but the hill sounds like a much better solution. Must try it next time I get a chance to play.

Cheers,

Erling

Bonxa, tried your approach and have met with more success now than before, although I've still not gotten a proper conclusion of the mission.

I have one problem though: how do you turn on the thermal sight ? Can't find anything about it in the manual (may have overlooked it), and I've tried virtually every key on the keyboard without luck. Still, have managed to locate and destroy the guns from up on the hill. Just have to be careful, as they will spot you if you get too cocky. Took out the closest one from a high point on the road, before going up on the hill.

Still haven't gotten the game to acknowledge destruction of the enemy artillery, despite setting the Sprut-Bs on fire and blasting one of the other ones to pieces. 4th gun was gone completely.

Found two infantrymen at the village in my first attempt. One fired an RPG at me without hitting, and it was with a considerable amount of glee that I ran him over before he could finish reloading... ;) After kiling the other one too and destroying the vehicle, I still hadn't driven the enemy from the village, according to the game. Was going around and through the village looking for more when the game froze...

2nd attempt, the RPG-bastard got his revenge... :rolleyes:

Do you remember if any infantry was located inside the village, or were they all outside ?

Cheers,

Erling

EGP, I just replayed that mission and there is more infantry in the village. It's about the usual compliment of an officer, a radio man, a RPG gunner and a few rifle men. Then there is both an engineering vehicle and a MTLB.

When all those were finished, after taking out the guns obviously, I still didn't get a victory. So I thought I had run in to the same problem as you. But as I drove down the slope to position one again yet another RPG gunner struck me a glancing blow. After he was dealt with the mission ended. And the guns don't have to be destroyed, it's sufficient that the crew is dead.

Thermal sights are among the other sights. smile.gif Just keep hitting PgUp or PgDown and you'll get it.

Good luck!

Thnx Bonxa, finally made it with the mission ending in 'Victory' smile.gif

First time I've encountered the MTLB at village BTW. Did find the thermal sight this time - and also found info in the manual about switching sights with PgUp/PgDn, but I had been looking for anything about 'thermal sight'...

Have had countless go's at the following mission, which I find really hard too, with all the enemy armor crawling around. Finally succeded yesterday, just before bedtime, destroying T-55 #2 with my next but last HEAT round, having spent all my APFSDS (total for the mision being 3 x T-34 & 2 x T-55). Also hit the jeep with an APFSDS round, since that was what I had loaded - hehe, that sent it flying... ;)

Tried HEAT rounds on the T-34s with great effect too - one hit is enough and usually there's no crawling tankers to chase with the MG afterwards... ;)

Anyway, thanks mucho for the help - I'm off to screw up in the next mission... :D

Cheers,

Erling