Mines

Originally posted by Sergei:

One thing is that if the AI steps into its own mines, they are revealed to you.

@ Slappy: if there´s really not a rule behind the mine spotting behavior and it´s truly a bug, then I would confirm your observations and conclusion.

@ Sergei: I made the same observations some time ago. I set up a test scenario (AI attacking/assaulting) to find out whether I could channelize the AI infantry movement paths, by placing AI owned AP mine fields in various terrain types. The map had mixed terrain and I put most of the AI controlled AP mine fields in those wood patches that the AI normally likes to move his infantry units into when approaching flags or the exit map edge. My intention was to deny the AI those terrain types in order to force its movements through other parts of terrain, in particular terrain folds and depressions (rather following terrain contours, not covered terrain types). Well, the result simply was it did not work. The AI still moves his infantry into and through his own known mine fields in order to enter or reach normal cover terrain like woods, rough, brush, ect. A human player normally can´t move his infantry units into his own minefields, but the AI obviously can, meaning it cheats! Also when the AI triggers his own mine fields, they become visible to the human player as you say.

The AI mine field "trick" worked fine in the SPWAW game, but unfortunately does not in CM. :(

Still wondering if placing craters in the editors crater placing mode (ALT-F1 to F4) degrades mine field effectiveness. (first place minefield, then put some craters in the tile with ALT-F1 to F4) Actually should not happen, but the game manuals leave that question open. :confused: