LC Gambit

stanhope

CSB is the ultimate strategy against LC gambit, terif comments are outdated, they are history, kaput, finito.

CSB strategy ultimate aim is to get Sweden by turn 5, grab Kuni's parents in late 39'/early 40', and ged rid of 'em to avoid the birth of an unholy creature, seventh son of a seventh son, Kuniworth the Dark Gay=happy Angel.

seventh_son_album.jpg

Just operate the needed troops during turn 1 and hit LC in turn 2. Go for France first, ignore other options.

Skando option works well, it is unbeatable but the long term price is steep. It provides good cash for getting France but the drawback is axis lose some valuable units while crossing the Rhine and allies can save way too many units.

Try to never allow allies the LC gambit, you are better off this way.

But if you allow it (let's say for the penalty to major countries' war readiness) you need to use only 2 HQs and 5 air - the third HQ is useless as you only need to support troops trying to cross the Rhine and your air. Attacking over the river is a pain (as mr. Condor well knows tongue.gif ) and you need massive air support to get a bridgehead over the Rhine.

If you allow the LC gambit and allies use the RAF and carriers hitting from London / Chatham port, you may get in trouble, depending on the rolls you encounter - so sometimes you may be forced to go get Skando to boost your $$$.

[ December 06, 2005, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: hellraiser ]

'I hate the LC gambit.'

Believe me, the germans would have hated it as well if it happened back in 1940 smile.gif

Major rivers are usually extremely good defensive positions - thing accurately reflected in SC where attackers have a -50% penalty when hitting froma river hex (if i correctly recall).

It is beatable (on average rolls' assumption of course) but it is very sensitive to correct prioritization - if you f*ck up the attacking sequence or the HQ support, you lose. I lost my fair share of games when fighting the LC gambit because I don't have the required patience always, to properly set up the attacking sequence smile.gif

But when done it as in the book, you tear thru allied lines although with some costs associated ~(a wise allied player will attempt to kill off heavy pieces while they cross the river - they can hit from 3 hexes the bridgehead near Brussels-and with some air mixed in the chance to kill is almost guaranteed).

Hmmm, I think it's time to continue with the strategy essays thread I opened some months ago smile.gif

LC gambit addition would do - thanks for reminding me about it ;)