Modified Quick Battles, Redux.

About a year ago, some chap (cannot remember his name) posted a really neat idea that makes CM so much more interesting for those who want a real challenge. He called it: Modified Quick Battles.

The idea was that one neutral "designer" would create a quick scenario by modifying a randomized map (to make the landscape more realistic). He would then place historically accurate troop mix for both sides, play the first turn (doing nothing) to creat passwords , he would then send out the scenario to each of the two players with respective passwords.

The two players would receive an entirely unique scenario (which did not take long to create and was save incase others wanted to see it), a unique password (so that the other side could never see the troop disposition or types - i.e. they could never cheat) and the best CM experience imaginable. My friends and I did this once, and never looked back, playing MQBs exclusively until we completely ODed on CM.

I am surprised to see that nobody else on this board has ever played a MQB - at least it is never mentioned. I highly recommend the experience. Cheers.

Funny you should mention. After a half year hiatus from CM PBEM I just now excepted a game from long time pal with (I hope) this type of battle. I enjoy a historical style of gaming and tried of the all Pershing/Royal Tiger bombast. I tend to choose force selection based on historical time/place with a view towards an interesting battle. I believe the your process lends itself admirably.