Zimmerat, nothing will stick to it......

I know that its an anti-magnetic paste that the Germans coated on the vehicles late in the war. But what magnetic AT weapons did the Allies in the ETO to warrant the Germans using it??

pz4_front.jpg

------------------

"Alla Keefek" is a Brit soldier's corruption of an Arabic phrase. It

means "couldn't be bothered". A Firefly of the 4th County of London Yeomanry had it painted on the rear of the turret. This Firefly was knocked out by a Tiger from 501st SS.

[This message has been edited by alla_keefek (edited 03-07-2001).]

The Germans used magnetic AT mines. But they must have thought that they would be used against them?

------------------

"Alla Keefek" is a Brit soldier's corruption of an Arabic phrase. It

means "couldn't be bothered". A Firefly of the 4th County of London Yeomanry had it painted on the rear of the turret. This Firefly was knocked out by a Tiger from 501st SS.

Well correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a "sticky bomb" cares one way or another if there is Zimmerat coating or not. Axel grease sticks to just about anything. wink.gif

------------------

"Upon my signal, unleash Hell."--General Maximus, Gladiator

"Aim small, miss small."--Mel Gibson, The Patriot

"I do what I likes, and I likes what I do."--Darrell Hammond (portraying Bill Clinton), SNL

The Germans had effective magnetic AT weaponry about 1943 IIRC. They saw the effectiveness and came to the conclusion that the other Allies would develop the same weaponry but they didn't.

Sticky bombs, eh? Another SPR fan. Boom!*splat*

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

Guest Mikey D

Zimmerit I believe was made of acetate & celulose and, if memory serves, was discontinued because there was concern about it being flammable... though I've never seen any reports of the zimm actually being burned off a tank.

They were just as cautious with smoke dischargers on early Panther and Tiger turrets. One report of a Panther crew in Russia being immobilized by smoke from a shot-up smoke bomb and the devices were immediately pulled off.