Best scenarios for beginners?

Could someone please highlight what they think are the best scenarios available (CD or add-ons) for those just learning the game? I've done "The Iron Roadblock" a few times very successfully as the Russians; but "Winter Wonderland" as the Germans was a complete disaster. :(

Thanks.

Crossing Dvina (Scenario Depot) is a nice attack Axis vs the AI -- smallish, but challenging. No armor to handle, just a couple of PSWS here -- you get to learn how to move your infantry. Move to Contact is a good movement order to experiment with, and you need to get good flanking vectors going with your infantry.

Hill 312 has a similar feel to it..in both these scenarios, unit cohesion and concentrated firepower are key.

Jagermeister is a larger more combined arms scenario -- Russians against the AI. Very challenging, but again, you here you need to use key commands at your disposal, this time for Armor -- shoot and scoot, etc. A number of lively threads on this one, worth looking at. Don't go by the manual tutorial.

Berezina River is another excellent combined arms scenario -- this time Germans against the AI. Very hard to win this one.

All of these in my view are great "skill building" scenarios that are worth replaying a number of times so that you really get a feel for troop movements, unit cohesion issues, and the uniqe command structure of CMBB.

Victory in these is not easy to achieve, so in that sense they will force you to get better in the "no pain, no gain" mode.

[ January 09, 2003, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: OGF Keller ]

Originally posted by Joe Costa:

but "Winter Wonderland" as the Germans was a complete disaster.

Play that one as the Germans and stick to scenario default for the AI. Now, comsider how far your men can see and try to make it to the road where you think the Ivan's won't be. If yo do that, you will have the cover of scattered trees to make your attack from. Move To Contact is an important command in this one

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Joe Costa:

but "Winter Wonderland" as the Germans was a complete disaster.

Play that one as the Germans and stick to scenario default for the AI. Now, comsider how far your men can see and try to make it to the road where you think the Ivan's won't be. If yo do that, you will have the cover of scattered trees to make your attack from. Move To Contact is an important command in this one</font>

Originally posted by OGF Keller:

Crossing Dvina (Scenario Depot) is a nice attack Axis vs the AI -- smallish, but challenging. No armor to handle, just a couple of PSWS here -- you get to learn how to move your infantry. Move to Contact is a good movement order to experiment with, and you need to get good flanking vectors going with your infantry.

SPOILERS

I had a go at this one very recently and drew it. Needless to say getting hit by a 45mm ATG and a 25mm AA when you're in one of those egg shell contraptions is not good for your health and morale. I managed to get the 4-wheeled 20mm PSW to live long enough in the scattered trees to take out the MG bunker, but that was all these vehicles contributed. The key to this scenario as I see it is getting the reinforcing mortars and infantry guns up and in good positions ASAP, unfortunately I ran the trucks into the scattered trees and fast move in them for trucks is worse than having the mortarmen dismount.

I think I've found a use for the PzB-39 team... annoying MG bunkers from the safety of a captured foxhole. ;)

Winter Wonderland Or Hill 312 as Germans Is definitely not for beginners unless you are sort that likes steep learning curves.

My suggestions for beginners are:

- Lonely Country as Germans (defender). You will win even if you do not use tactics. Question is how high can you score ? Total or Major Victory ?

- Citadel Schwerpunkt - This is found in the demo, or you can download it from the Scenario Depot (http://ns9.super-hosts.com/~dragonlair.net/combatmission/) Play as Germans (attacker), this is a good scenario for practising tank tactics. Should be a walk over as Germans, but remember to stay close together.

- Death Ride of the 424th as Russian (defender). - Found in CD, this is an easy game as Russian. Again, question is how high can you score. Close Quarter duelling between TIgers and Joseph Stalins-2.

- Totenkopf as Germans (Defender). Good use of combined arms (infantry, armor, support)

Playing defender is mostly easier than attacker, unless you are playing some historical scenario like Tiger-Tiger where the Russians had difficulty against the tigers.

My 0.02 cents worth.

[ January 14, 2003, 03:10 AM: Message edited by: laxx ]

Originally posted by laxx:

- Death Ride of the 424th as Russian (defender). - Found in CD, this is an easy game as Russian. Again, question is how high can you score. Close Quarter duelling between TIgers and Joseph Stalins-2.

Ok, I have to ask... why would anyone want to play this against the AI as the defender? Where's the fun? What do you learn?

Originally posted by laxx:

- Citadel Schwerpunkt - This is found in the demo, or you can download it from the Scenario Depot (http://ns9.super-hosts.com/~dragonlair.net/combatmission/) Play as Germans (attacker), this is a good scenario for practising tank tactics. Should be a walk over as Germans, but remember to stay close together.

Thanks for the useful response, I'll try the scenarios you've suggested. But I searched for this particular one on the Depot to no avail . . . nothing at all there that even contains the word 'Citadel' in the title.