Hitler heart Nefertiti

360px-Nefertiti_berlin.jpg

Nefertiti, meaning "the beautiful one has cometh forth',  is one of the most famous women of the ancient world, and a mesmerising icon of feminine beauty. She was the Great Royal Wife of the Pharaoh Akhenaten. Her painted stucco-coated limestone bust, crafted in 1345BC,  was discovered by a German archaeological team in 1912 and put on display in the Neues Museum in Berlin.

During the Nazi era, Goering proposed returning the bust to King Fouad in exchange for a political alliance between the two countries. Hitler would have none of it, writing the king 'I know this famous bust. I have viewed it and marvelled at it many times. Nefertiti continually delights me. It is a unique masterpiece, an ornament, a true treasure'. He further added that whatever Germany already has, is hers to keep.To his inner circle, the fuehrer asserted that Nefertiti had a focal place in his dreams of rebuilding Berlin as Germania. "Do you know what I'm going to do one day? I'm going to build a new Egyptian museum in Berlin," he went on. "I dream of it. Inside I will build a chamber, crowned by a large dome. In the middle, this wonder, Nefertiti, will be enthroned. I will never relinquish the head of the Queen." 

Hitler had fallen for Nefertiti and refused to let go of her. Some in his retinue speculated that he spent hours gazing at the queen. When things got dicey in 1945 he had her interred in an underground salt mine later to be discovered by American GIs. The US returned the bust in 1956.

Edited by Childress

Interesting, however, I recall reading that experts have determined that the pigments used are ancient. 

And the Queen's dismembered legs appear to have been found.

https://www.seeker.com/queen-nefertaris-dismembered-legs-have-been-found-2120387796.html

EDIT: wrong queen. The link refers to another Nefertiti who reigned a hundred years later and was the wife of Ramses II.

Edited by Childress