CMPzC Normandy '44 Caen Operation - Axis HQ

This thread will contain all the communications between myself and any players wishing to play the Axis side in this operation. Anyone is free to post their ideas for the operational moves, or ask questions about the PzC scenario, and the CMPzC rules.

Below is the starting deployment of the Allies with a unit identification key.

The time is 08:00 hours on the 7th June 1944. The place is the outskirts of Caen. The task of the Allies is to occupy both VL's at the end of the game to win, and one to draw. The PzC scenario is 7 turns long.

Artillery range = Wespe's - 12 hexes / 105's - 19 hexes / 150's - 13 hexes

Mortar range = 5 hexes

Any indirect fire weapon that is fired during the PzC turn, cannot be used in a CM battle that turn.

The hexes containing the VL's, and hex I,11 contain trenches at the 40% level (see PzC / Fortifications in the guide)

The Axis move second, the Axis team can sit back and wait for the Allies to finish their moves, and then fight any CM battles that are generated. When the time comes, I will provide screenshots of the reachable hexes for any unit, or the visible hexes from any hex, so please request this information using the coordinates from the hex key.

HexKey_zps04138963.jpg

AxisDeploymentKey_zps807f47ae.jpg

AxisDeploymentUnitID_zps4885d9e0.jpg

Great news noob! Seems we are getting closer to the first battles of this operational campaign. I am really looking forward to it.

The recent rule changes are really good and I appreciate all the effort you and your fellow testers put into developing that system. That's it I always was looking for. Sure I can give something back by posting good comprehensive DARs of ongoing battles.

Can't wait how this will play out!

Great news noob! Seems we are getting closer to the first battles of this operational campaign. I am really looking forward to it.

The recent rule changes are really good and I appreciate all the effort you and your fellow testers put into developing that system. That's it I always was looking for. Sure I can give something back by posting good comprehensive DARs of ongoing battles.

Can't wait how this will play out!

Thanks, there should be a CM battle this turn, so as you were the first player for the Axis side to express a desire to play a CM battle, you will be playing it when it is generated.

As the defender, i will send you the CM map for the area, then you are to place any fortifications I add, and create gaps in walls and hedges you might find useful. Once this is done, that map becomes the official map for that hex.

Awesome. So, our forces are already in position - correct

Correct.

I must be missing something because I cannot tell where the victory locations are?

There are two 50 point VL's on the hex map. Not that the points matter though, just own both at the end for a win, or one for a draw.

Thanks, there should be a CM battle this turn, so as you were the first player for the Axis side to express a desire to play a CM battle, you will be playing it when it is generated.

As the defender, i will send you the CM map for the area, then you are to place any fortifications I add, and create gaps in walls and hedges you might find useful. Once this is done, that map becomes the official map for that hex.

Roger that. Just send me a PM when it is time to make the initial adjustments to the map.

Oh now I get. it those hexes with the 50s are the VL. We start with them thinly defended and have reinforcements "behind them".

Yes, it's a meeting engagement really, with a token defensive force occupying the VL's.

All the SS troops will be "Green" for experience, with "Fanatic" motivation throughout the operation.

The Heer will be "Regular" for experience, with "Low" motivation throughout the operation.

The only variables will be headcount, fatigue, leadership if disrupted, and supply, if the supply line is obstructed.

OK awesome - my head is in the right place now. Thanks. I take it from the above we have no information about the allied disposition at the start. I suspect we will see something as their turn develops then.

Once the Allies have completed their PzC turn, you will get a screenshot showing any enemy units that are now visible. You will also receive information regarding enemy units that move in, and then out of your forces LOS.

So, I have read the rules and been thinking about the situation. Obviously, my thoughts are just a starting point because we have not seen what the Alies have done yet.

Given the above here are my immediate thoughts. We should be trying to maneuver to get reinforcements to the VL locations. I doubt the current forces on those locations would last very long without some shoring up. In addition, to me it looks like E11 and F10 are important to prevent the enemy from isolating the top most VL.

I also see from the rules that we can use artillery to disrupt the enemy and prevent their movement. I submit we should be looking for opportunities to do that. In order to slow their ability to get men into position to assault the VLs.

Speaking of artillery, @noob can you provide a link to a higher res version of the OOB? I cannot tell what kind of artillery is in stack 11 or what kind of mortars are available in stacks 4, 5 and 6.

My first thoughts.

Roger that. Just send me a PM when it is time to make the initial adjustments to the map.

As the guy fighting the battle you are in full command. I would like to ask you let us know generally how things are going. Nothing to crazy like the AARs posted here. But when things get going. What you start to see and how things are going from time to time.

I also see from the rules that we can use artillery to disrupt the enemy and prevent their movement. I submit we should be looking for opportunities to do that. In order to slow their ability to get men into position to assault the VLs.

Artillery use is a game within a game. If you disrupt a PzC unit, you prevent it from assaulting that turn, thus denying its participation in a CM battle. So, a concentrated strike at a stack could render it unable to assault that turn. However, as i have stated before, any artillery used in a PzC turn is not permitted to be used in any CM battle that operational turn.

Speaking of artillery, @noob can you provide a link to a higher res version of the OOB? I cannot tell what kind of artillery is in stack 11 or what kind of mortars are available in stacks 4, 5 and 6.

I will re create the OOB in such a way as to enlarge the unit info boxes as soon as possible.

Of course I would let you know. I was planning to do a DAR of this battle so people get a overview of what is happening in this battle.

But I am not so sure anymore if I should pass this battle to someone else. I kind of felling like I hiijacked this slot for a battle. As you already may have recognised I am very new to this forum, at least in regards of active posting. I was just passive the last years soaking every bit of information about this game, learning lots of usefull stuff from all the guys participating heavily in this great forum. And of course the allaround entertainment of all the different discussions and furthermost the excellent AARs. Somehow the start of this campaign made me jump to the ranks of active users as this campaign (or start of a campaign series as this CMPzC system has all it needs) was something I was waiting a long long time. So I tried to participate but never expected to be one of the first to actually fight a battle.

But I am not so sure anymore if I should pass this battle to someone else.

You have first refusal on the first CM battle, so if you don't want to play it, that's ok, just confirm your position, and I will offer the first battle to Ian.

But I am not so sure anymore if I should pass this battle to someone else. I kind of felling like I hiijacked this slot for a battle. As you already may have recognised I am very new to this forum, at least in regards of active posting.

No, no go for it. I think it is great. I did not mean to give the impression of being impatient - just wanted to start the discussion. I am cool if you want to fight all the CM battles - even (but I'll do my bit if you don't want to).

I did not think there would be so few of us either - but hey it should be fun.

Artillery use is a game within a game. If you disrupt a PzC unit, you prevent it from assaulting that turn, thus denying its participation in a CM battle. So, a concentrated strike at a stack could render it unable to assault that turn. However, as i have stated before, any artillery used in a PzC turn is not permitted to be used in any CM battle that operational turn.

Under stood. I see from the updated image that we have 7 batteries which give us some flexibility.

I will re create the OOB in such a way as to enlarge the unit info boxes as soon as possible.

Thank you. Now I can see the real problem - it does not say what kind of artillery it its. I was able to recognize the picture for all the other units but not the artillery. So, what kind of guns are the towed arty? And the mortars? I suppose I should check that the AT guns are 75mm as well (I can recognize the 88s for sure).

Under stood. I see from the updated image that we have 7 batteries which give us some flexibility.

You have seven batteries, but they cannot be used independently. So, for example, the battery of 12 can only be used as 1 x 12 gun battery firing against one PzC hex, or 3 x 4 gun batteries allocated to one CM battle.

Thank you. Now I can see the real problem - it does not say what kind of artillery it its. I was able to recognize the picture for all the other units but not the artillery. So, what kind of guns are the towed arty? And the mortars? I suppose I should check that the AT guns are 75mm as well (I can recognize the 88s for sure).

Sorry, I overlooked that, I will add the calibre's to another screenshot of the OOB, and post it here.

You have seven batteries, but they cannot be used independently. So, for example, the battery of 12 can only be used as 1 x 12 gun battery firing against one PzC hex, or 3 x 4 gun batteries allocated to one CM battle.

Oh, that is not what I expected. I suppose it makes sense given the level of the game. So, operationally we have three independent artillery units.

Sorry, I overlooked that, I will add the calibre's to another screenshot of the OOB, and post it here.

Thank you appreciated.

@Strachwitz, given what @noob has clarified about the use of artillery, here is how I propose we use our artillery assets: The 12 guns of 150 we use operationally to attempt to disrupt the enemy. I find calling 150 artillery in a CM game difficult - FOs take 15min to make the call. Calling the 105 and 120 in a CM game is much easier. That means we have two batteries of 105 we can allocate to any CM battle. Plus the 120 that are in the stack for the infantry.

I do have a question about those 120mm mortars. When the infantry formation they are stacked with attacks can we opt to leave the 120mm mortars behind and use them as off map assets? Actually come to think of it I have never seen 120mm mortars on board so perhaps my question is moot.

Also can the 120mm mortars from one stack be made available in a CM battle involving another stack and hex?

I do have a question about those 120mm mortars. When the infantry formation they are stacked with attacks can we opt to leave the 120mm mortars behind and use them as off map assets? Actually come to think of it I have never seen 120mm mortars on board so perhaps my question is moot.

There are no on map 120mm mortars available in CM so they are to be regarded as artillery, with a hex radius range of 5 hexes. There PzC heavy mortar units represent 2 tubes.

Also can the 120mm mortars from one stack be made available in a CM battle involving another stack and hex?

Only if there is a unit from the parent battalion with a LOS to the contested hex.

I will be adding a link to my signature soon, that will allow members to download a reduced version of PzC N44, containing this scenario, then you can see how the artillery dialog works. Basically, the artillery dialog will highlight any enemy unit that can be targeted, and with which battery. This is used to determine CM battle eligibility.