Well, installed the patch and got a "Current system does not support a 0x0x32 resolution" error when I try to start it up.

Running Win 8-64

Radeon 9750

I believe this is a configuration error that was introduced with the last non-functional Windows 8 EXE of the game and unfortunately I forgot to take this into account with the latest patch, i.e. in terms of automatically resetting this incorrect resolution setting.

But this can be done manually and it should get you up and running again, all you have to do is navigate to your WWI installation folder and do the following:

1) Open the SC2.ini file and change the following settings to this:

#ORIGINAL_SCREEN_WIDTH= 0

#ORIGINAL_SCREEN_HEIGHT= 0

#WINDOW_WIDTH= 0

#WINDOW_HEIGHT= 0

#FULL_SCREEN= 0

#BIT_DEPTH= 0

This will then force the game to automatically reconfigure the resolution when it launches and it should run fine after that.

2) Ensure the SC2.ini file does not reside in your Windows Virtual Folder. To do this, once you have navigated to the installation folder for WWI, check to see if there is a 'Compatibility Files' button near the top left corner.

If there is click on it and if you see an SC2.ini file in the virtual folder, delete it and the game will run fine after you have performed step #1.

Hubert

2) Ensure the SC2.ini file does not reside in your Windows Virtual Folder. To do this, once you have navigated to the installation folder for WWI, check to see if there is a 'Compatibility Files' button near the top left corner.

I do not see this but don't take it to the bank as I am not exactly certain what I am looking for.

• 2 weeks later...
Great to hear Bossy :)

I'm sure you know that this is far from the only game that has problems with Windows 8. You were, however, one of the first to provide an "official" fix. So Thank You.

If you don't mind me asking, is Windows 8 all that bad? I read another developer on another forum call it "evil." From a user standpoint I kinda like it but find the UI to be cumbersome - but that is because some old habits were put to the sword. I essentially got rid of Metro with one of those UI fixes - but I still go back to it here and there - when I want to.

Anyway, Merry Christmas and thanks for the fantastic game!

Thanks Bossy and to answer your question I think it is sometimes just a matter of what you are used to.

From what I've seen from a technical point of view Windows 8 seems to be quite nice and they've done a good job of integrating the touch portion of the UI into the OS which will give it quite a bit of flexibility when implemented between the various devices out there, i.e. PC or mobile or tablet etc., whereas iOS or Android is just for mobile/tablet etc.

Windows 8 does offer a sort of familiar 'Desktop' option which is nice for those making the transition but without the more familiar Start->Run setup which I've found to be a small annoyance in my testing as it throws you back to the Metro tiles instead.

One plus is that it is certainly much more efficiently designed and in comparing the load times on my older XP machine which took well over a minute to boot up and load properly, with Windows 8 it is somewhere between 15-30 seconds in total instead.

I've recently seen Windows 8 on a touch screen computer coupled with the option to use a mouse and I can see how it will have quite a bit of merit going forward for those that just like to surf the web, play games, check email etc.

Very intuitive for users like my children or on the other end of the spectrum like my father.

Granted it is not for everyone but I found that once you become used to the new design it can be quite nice... but that being said for development I'll be sticking with Windows 7 for now :)

Hubert