Available resolutions? How get >640x480?

Guest Chris B

Guest Chris B

I am playing CM on my powerbook.

I have a multisynch screen attached. When using that screen I get 640x480 resolution.

I tried deattaching the screen and got 800x600 resolution on the PB internal screen, no problems.

So how do I get more than 640x480 on the external screen? It can handle a lot of resolutions.

MacOS 8.6 CM 1.01

Guest Big Time Software

Make sure that the desktop on the external monitor is set to something higher than 640x480 before you run CM, because CM will never enlarge the resolution above what it's currently set to.

Charles

Guest Chris B

>Make sure that the desktop on the external monitor is set to something higher than 640x480 before you run CM, because CM will never enlarge the resolution above what it's currently set to.

You are joking, right?

If I was using something LESS or equal to 640x480, would I get worried that it raised the resolution? I have tried 832x624 (my usual resolution). I have tried 800x600. I have tried deleting the prefs like someone suggested and going 800x600. No help, if it can, CM drops my resolution to 640x480. Only if 640x480 is unavailable, like when using the internal screen only, will CM let me use a higher resolution.

You know, a resolution selection screen would help A LOT.

Do I have to trick CM into thinking my current resolution is the ONLY resolution available? And how do I do that?

Guest Big Time Software

Chris,

What you describe is puzzling. I wonder if something in your setup is confusing the 3D RAVE software that CM uses.

What sort of powerbook do you have? And what kind of 3D card, if any?

Charles

Guest Chris B

>What you describe is puzzling. I wonder if something in your setup is confusing the 3D RAVE software that CM uses.

Ok, thanks for replying. This reply sounds less like the standard reply and more to the point. I can tell from other forum entries I am not the only one having resolution problems.

>What sort of powerbook do you have?

Just an ordinary Powebook G3 series, external screen, mouse, keyboard and harddrive.

>And what kind of 3D card, if any?

None, I assume there are none that work in the PC slot, and even if there was I sincerely doubt I would get one. I have seen CM with a 3D card and it is very nice, but I would rather spend my $ getting games than getting 3D cards.

You probably do have a 3D card (or chip) on your Powerbook G3 series -- run the Apple System Profiler (in the Apple Menu), click on 'Devices & Volumes', and click on the 'Display Card' arrow and it will show you -- you probably have a Rage LT Pro.

I have a similar setup to you and can only run at 640x480. If I try 800x600, CM quits to the desktop at the 'loading 3d graphics screen'. If I try 1024x768, CM works fine, but uses 640x480.

My textures also look washed out and fuzzy -- not sure if this is due to the lower resolution or some texture mapping problem.

Guest Big Time Software

Unfortunately the Rage LT Pro is a seriously underpowered chipset.

Upgrading to the very latest drivers (from www.atitech.ca) can help, but there's a limit to what can be done from our end, though we're still looking into it.

Charles

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Unfortunately the Rage LT Pro is a seriously underpowered chipset.

Upgrading to the very latest drivers (from www.atitech.ca) can help, but there's a limit to what can be done from our end, though we're still looking into it.

Charles<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From looking at a couple of the other threads on Mac (esp. powerbooks) the very latest drivers (1.4.8) may cause trouble, but 1.4.6 and 1.4.7 both seem to work ok, but neither will give you 1024x768.

Guest Chris B

No, I do not have a 3D card, nor chip of any kind. I do have a chip that claims to be a PCI chip, but it does not claim to have any 3D capabilities at all. This should make solving this problem simpler, not harder. Sigh.

(ATY,264LT-G)

My guess is that CM tries to used the highest 3D resolution, then drops to lowest available resolution. I wish it would try the highest available that is equal to or lower than the desktop resolution.

Hi,

Add me to the queue!

I have a G3 PowerBook (Wallstreet 192/7Gb. OS 9.0.4, AT Driver 1.5.3, ATI Graphics Accelerator 4.9.4, 1Mb backside cache, display card: Rage LT Pro Revision 220) which runs fine with millions of colours at 1024 x 768. I can quite happily simul scan with a 21" Colour Sync screen using these settings.

As soon as I fire up CM I drop to 640 x 480 and thousands of colours! Once I exit CM it restores the settings back to 1024 x 768 and millions.

------------------

Regards,

Mark:-{)

Anxiously awaiting the G4 PowerBook