Issues with small mortars

In thinking that CMBN sometimes feels more like Hurt Locker than Band of Brothers, I keep coming back to the small mortars--60mm. If all politics is local, my impression was that these mortars were the most local of artillery. The command and control works great for relative spotting and unit cohesion issues, but the artillery feels too slick in the communication--even if it may have been toned down from CMSF. Think manual typewriters with ribbons, and platoon/company commanders who want to use ammo for their own needs.

This will even be more important with the Commonwealth troops and the 2 inch mortar.

I am certain this has been amply discussed at Battlefront, but my suggestion would be:

1. Small mortars can't be used in pre-planned bombardment. I don't think this is what they were used for--at least within the CM2 scope. [This is where the grogs indicate I know nothing about WW2 tactics.]

2. There are heavy penalities for using the small mortars by high level FO, or other company FO. Sort of the opposite of the larger stuff. Yes, a company on the right flank might be able to call in fire from mortar in a different company on the left flank, but the chances of miscommunication must have been large. In practice, wouldn't they, I ask, not usually take such chances?