Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CD drives

Anybody know or care to tell me what advantage there might be in buying a newer faster CD drive then my older 44X (speed) one? I try to update my computer whenever possible to try to keep it pretty much up to date but due to funds can't just go out and buy a new one every other year so this is how I insure I always have a pretty good one. Anyway, I am pretty happy with everything I've got meaning video card, Ram, processor etc but noticed that there are some drives out now with like 58X speed and was wondering if buying one of these would do much for me. What does the speed of a CD drive actually do for you? Any answers would be appreciated. I don't know if I should always trust my computer guy. He thinks I should by one of everything and then talks over my head so I can't determine if he's giving me good advise or is just a good saleman. Anybody?

Guest Panzer Boxb

You wouldn't notice the difference unless you do *alot* of accessing on CDs that are full of large data files. I believe the maximum read speeds of CD drives can only be achieved on large continguous data chunks. Here is an article reviewing the Kenwood 40X and 52X CD drives.

Thanks guys for the answers. And thanks for the article Panzer Boxb. Guess I won't be rushing out wasting my money - at least not on a CD drive. Will probably go DVD when my current drive breaks however. That'll make my computer guy happy I'm sure. Again, do appreciate you guys taking the time to help me.

He's right.

And in addition to Panzer Bob's comment about contigious files, you only get the benefit of the drive's full rated speed on the innermost tracks (where the disc is spinning fastest). I read somewhere that means you can only get the max speed on about 12% of a CD's surface (about 75MB on a full ~650MB CD).

I don't remember the exact number, but on the outer edge (where the disc spins the slowest) your access times are something like 6X slower, and since there is physically more area the farther out you go, you spend more time at slow speeds than at fast speeds.

Standard CD tracks spiral from the outside in, so basically your speed will increase the longer you read data -- although most CD's aren't full, so in most cases it literally isn't possible to get your maximum speed! Nice huh? (Incidentally this is a trick Microsoft used on the XBOX to improve load times -- it's DVD tracks start at the inside and spiral outwards -- they get both better load times and fairly tricky copy protection.)

I currently have a Kenwood 70X Zen TrueX drive in one machine, and I can rarely tell the difference between it and my 40X in a similarly configured machine.

Having said that, the Kenwoods should still show better times because the "Zen" stuff also includes a big cache, which CD drives usually don't have (god only knows why). But in practice it doesn't seem to help much.

Thanks JMcGuire that was a nice job of explaining it. I kind of understood a lot from the site Panzer Boxb had referred me to but your answer certainly reinforced it. I do appreciate it. Thanks again guys. DVD's the way to go - when I actually need it that is.