Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Disunion - a US Civil War Blog

JonS

One-hundred-and-fifty years ago, Americans went to war with themselves. Disunion revisits and reconsiders America's most perilous period -- using contemporary accounts, diaries, images and historical assessments to follow the Civil War as it unfolded.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/category/disunion/

I've been following this blog on and off for a few months now. It is very very good. Unfortunately it is so densely packed with awesomesauce that I've never been able to do more than sample a few of the posts every now and then. But, if you're right in to the US Civil War, I think you'll like it a lot, and make time for it.

“The blood of the first Martyr has flowed,” the Richmond Daily Dispatch announced on May 27, 1861. Three days earlier Confederate partisan James Jackson had been killed in Alexandria, Va., by a Union soldier after Jackson shot and killed Union Col. Elmer Ellsworth, who had charged into Jackson’s inn to remove a Confederate flag atop the building. Arguably the first casualties of the war, Jackson and Ellsworth became celebrated martyrs for the respective Confederate and Union causes.

“Glorious death!,” the Dispatch proclaimed of Jackson. “There exists not a mortal man in Virginia who does not envy his fate, who will not emulate his example, and who would not rather die than live to breathe an atmosphere polluted by such moral and social lepers as the degraded and murderous wretches whose hands are bathed in his heroic blood.”

Is this how modern folks view the events of the time ?