PBEM Security exposure?

I hope I'm posting to the right forum, and I apologise in advance for my newbie ignorance.

I just created my first PBEM QB, and used computer-picked forces. I thought I'd just check the PBEM TXT file before I mailed it off, and was surprised to find that I could open it as my opponent by supplying a new password. This of course gives me full knowledge of his unit allocation. Should CM be allowing this?

Thanks, Len

[ June 15, 2002, 05:31 AM: Message edited by: Len ]

Interesting!

My first thought was; "... but if you've set a password your opponent will notice, so no sweat!"

Then I realised; you open your copy of the file, so the opponent can't know.

Then I thought; so, perhaps the selection is done when the file is opened? ... but that would allow a player to re-open the file several times until there's an "acceptable" force pick. A very big no-no.

In the end I think you've actually found one possible "intelligence leak" for random setups.

This subject may require some more testing...

Cheers

Olle

I did some testing last night.

It seems the "problem" come with computer picked forces.

With "me" setting up the game:

- My forces hand picked and opponent on auto gives me the map and opponents forces. (I'll have to start over to change my forces, changing the map and opposition as well.)

- Both sides auto gives me the map and both forces. (Redo until satisfied...)

- My force auto and opponent hand pick gives me the map and my forces, but little about the enemy except for the decision of troop quality, that was random.

- Both sides hand picked reveal nothing! (Except for random troop quality, as mentioned above.)

Cheers

Olle