New PC, Burner problems help me, I want to burn back up copy of CM

Wow

Thanks for all the info, I am heading out, to get some better Blank-CD's. As I stated before, I am a electronics & PC tech student, but we have not got into CD-Burner technology yet,(not until next quarter will we cover burners).

I am sorry, for all the questions, I am generally a very good student,but I am at a loss on this CD to CD burning process. Hopefully with all this knowledgeable info, I will have the problem solved by tonight.

JMcGuire, I appreciate the time you spent on the info above. It appears you are well informed on Burner Tech.

Well I am off to COMP USA & FRYES. Also I noticed you said, only losing a few cds, in the past few years. I only wish, I have wasted 7 now, in only 4 days.

Thanks again, I will let everyone know, how it goes tonight.

[ 05-03-2001: Message edited by: Shatter ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gyrene:

Man, that must have been a $700 burner back in the day,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually back then a 12X burner was a couple thousand dollars, and were very, very hard to acquire (high demand, low production). $700 would get you a big (VCR-sized) external 2X burner. All we had back then was SCSI -- I don't remember seeing IDE burners until just a few years ago.

You should see some of the other weird hardware I have from that time period -- Panasonic PD-ROMs are 650MB hard-sectored magneto optical 1X early rewritable CDs, and we drooled over those. I had drives with serial numbers 13 and 17. Heck, I might still have them, gathering dust in a closet somewhere...

JMcGuire

Could I send you my error messages and have you give me some input???

Here are the errors:

T0100:I/O error (04/44/01) Unexpected error

T7118:Track Written error-Command retry failed

Here are my specs on my Burner:

Phillips Recordable/Rewriteable CDRW

IDE-CD R/RW 8x4x32

[ 05-03-2001: Message edited by: Shatter ]

It is hard to come up with anything new after all these posts.

I can only tell about a solution that worked for me with another original CD a few weeks ago.

A friend of mine was here with a somewhat scratched CD and couldn't install a game because of read errors.

I just took a piece of fine cloth and polished some of the more serious scratches out of it. First he laughed at me but it was funny then to see his face when he inserted it and it worked.

Sorry, the errors don't tell me much. However, any time I've seen chronic burn problems, if it isn't caused by putting the burner as the IDE slave or on the same IDE as the source drive, it's almost always caused by apps running in the background.

Turn off EVERYTHING (don't forget your screen saver). You want your machine as "quiet" as possible.

If you do that and you still have problems, go to the absolute basics -- burn at 1X and see if it works, then start increasing your burn speed.

It's also quite possible you simply have a bad burner. Phillips is normally makes excellent quality burners (they invented them), but it does happen.

Also, CDRW is much less reliable than CDR, both in terms of burning and in terms of media. CDRW uses a much lower power laser for writing. If your blanks are CDRW, try non-rewritable blanks instead. The media is different and the burn method is different.

As for polishing CD's, I have a blurb to add about that, too. smile.gif

If you polish (or even lightly wipe) a CD, do it in a straight line from the center to the outer rim. Remember how I mentioned a CD stores data in one long spiral track? (Like a big vinyl record, actually.) If you polish the disc side to side (or worst of all, in a circular motion like those "cleaners" use) you run the risk of creating a scratch which runs along a long section of that spiral track -- it doesn't take much before the error correction stuff just gives up. If you go center-to-rim, if you scratch it, the scratch will interfere with a small section of the spiral (just many, many times).

Hey fellas guess what I did.

I got me backups now.

It was indeed the Burner, I knew I was not that stupid, that I could not get a simple burner to work.

Took it in today to Gateway, every damn Tech in the place took a crack at it. I just sat back and grinned. After more than an hour, tech comes and says, yep burner is bad. I knew it, I said.

So just wanted you all to know. It wasn't me.

Also I wanted to Thank everyone for all the suggestions.

At the very least, I learned a lot about Burners, I will be up on the material when Burner Tech is discussed at school.

Thankyou guys very much for all the input.

Oh I am glad this is the end of this Thread.