A quick question on ambushes.

Ok, tear me a new one if you want. I've read the manual, and I've searched the forums. I've done trial-and-error in game. I'm sure the answer is right in front of me. BUT. I can't find it or figure it out and it's killing me!

Here it is: When you have placed an ambush point, how do you then remove it? It's driving me nuts.

I picked up CMBB first, so the ambush points obviously weren't a factor for me in that one. Just grabbed CMBO and I'm liking it - obviously - except for that little problem.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Not entirely true.

There is a maximum allowable number of ambush markers in the game. I know this is uber mechanics groggy, but it's been discussed before and has something to do with the total number of units constraint so I believe it varies with the force size.

• 1 month later...

OK recently in a PBEM game I was taking a hammering from 2 Tigers. I had a Firefly on HIDE on ambush. I waited and waited but they weren't coming his way. Then I saw my opportunity away from the ambush marker. A Tiger had turned its back armour on me.

Drove fast. HUNT. a 90% chance to hit. Kill: Good.

BUT!!! when I got there my 17 pdr gun was still pointing at the ambush marker - 180 degrees in the wrong direction!!!

Laugh. I could have cried!

What should I have done?

I trusted the Firefly to do the sensible thing. It couldn't 'see' the Tiger at the start of the move so I didn't target the Tiger. Should I have targetted it?

(It turned out alright in the end. Fortunately the Firefly's turret turned quicker than the Tiger's and one shot was enough to KO. But it could have been very embarrassing!)

Yeah, you should just target the tiger. The line will hold for some amount of the turn even without LOS. You could have alternatively give a rotate order to where the Tiger would have appeared. In any case, untarget the ambush marker.

I gave up on ambushes entirely in CMBO in favor of hiding due to the problems with modeling. The long term solution is to switch to BB/AK where cover arcs remove most of these problems.

Thanks. Next time I'll target the Tiger or whatever. Better still I think I'll just give up on ambush markers altogether.

I would swap to CMAK but my friend/opponent can't get it to run properly on his machine. Besides we both like NW Europe theatre of operations. Perhaps an up-dated version of CMBO would be the answer!

Anyway, thanks again.

Well, I wouldn't give up on Ambush Markers altogether in CMBO, as they are the only reliable way for your guns and infantry to hold their fire. If you don't instruct your units so, they will open up when you least want them too, like 99% of the time!

BTW I believe the hard limit for Ambush Markers was 25, ran into that a few times in Huge battles, been awhile since I played CMBO so could be mistaken.

Ron