PzVIE mod Preview

Originally posted by Meach:

Cool. Ghost Panzer...sounds ominous. Do you have a link to a website where I can learn more?

How did they get there nickname?

Thanks

Meach.

http://www.11thpanzer.com/dsp_originalUnit.htm

I believe that the first use of the name 'Ghost division' was Rommel's 7th panzer in France 1940. It was called the ghost division because such was Rommel's individuality that at any point in time nobody knew exactly where it was....not even the German high command.

I like the *.bmp mod, however for the grogs it should be noted that the usage of that symbol on a PzKW VIE is not historical.

First, by 1944 the 11th Panzer Division was no long using the complex tactical symbol of the 'Ghost.' Most of the panzer divisions that started the war had various complex symbols. Over the years of conflict these symbols were radically simplified, and by the later years of the war were even rarely painted on the sides of tanks and vehicles. Documentation of the simplification of the panzer divisional markings can be found in Squadron Signals: _Panzer Colors: Volume II_ and Tony Greenland's _Panzer Masterclass Modelling_.

Second, tigers were not directly assigned to panzer divisions- rather they were assigned within an independent tank battalion established specifically as tiger units (sPzAbt). These battalions would be maintained at higher levels (corps or army) and assigned as necessary. So, tigers would not be organic to the 11th PD; however the battalion could have been assigned as support.

Third, tiger battalions maintained their own unique battalion markings; a classic example being Springender Tuefel ("Dancing Demon") found on the tiger battalion assigned to SS Panzer 'Das Reich' on the Ostfront from March, 1943 through November, 1943. These are documented in Squadron Signals: _Panzer Colors: Volume III_ .

Fourth, as far as I am aware (although up for debate with correct references) the 11th PD was not assigned any tiger battalions for support during the summer of 1944.

Most of what you said is correct, most of what you said is INCORRECT! Its a mute point anyway. Personaly I think one would be hard pressed to find a 1988 Russian camo scheme on any wwII vehicle!!! I just think it looks good. Its a pretty good thing that the armed forces of WWII weren't doing mushrooms, the tie die theme definately would not work :D