Operational Movement

There are some limitations on operational movement for the Axis. at first sight these seem reasonable - you can't operate German air to Japan for example. Indeed I wish Allies had some more limitations here.

But it can get strange late in the game. I've just knocked Russia out of the war and its not easy moving German units East West by rail even though the Axis controls the country including the rail net. I do think this should be possible but also its a bit fast to do this in one turn.

One fix might be to count rail junctions for land units - each one counts as a step. You can operate up to any X rail junctions that you control (X steps) in a turn that are linked with good supply. This means really long ranged troop transfer cost more (say Madrid to Vladivostok) and takes longer and than Berlin to Paris.

Air units I propose operate up to X times their tactical rebasing range for air transfer or can use regular sea transport rules. This allows both intermediate range air transfers and transatlantic shipping of air units in transports. It also removes the really irritating tactic (particularly by Allies who do not mind MPP losses late in the game) of moving air to block land units. its true land units do air a lot of damage (a good thing) but pushes by Japan in India (for example) should not be blockable by sacrificial air transfers direct from UK or US to Delhi.

Think this has got some merit with fine tuning.

Further, I propose that for each level of infrastructure there is a chance damaged resources (cities, ports, mines, oil) recover by 2 steps instead of one (say 20% chance per level) or there is some other relationship where there is some randomness in rebuilding but its helped by good infrastructure.

The net effect should be as playable as before and far more realistic. And you can lose all the more arbitrary rules about what can operate where and make infrastructure technology more useful.