IE5 and IE6

Apache

I downloaded Download Accelerator Plus to speed up my downloads and help resume if they break. It works great but after I installed it I was unable to open my old IE5 unless I tried several times, kept getting 'illegal operation'messages. Then I installed IE5.5 (from a magazine disc) and while it went in OK I would get either 'illegal op' messages and/or a lock-up after I'd tried one or two clicks when connected to the net. Now I've installed IE6 straight from Microsoft and all SEEMS OK. Any idea what could have caused these problems (in case they surface). Tends to make me want to stick to my old 'If it ain't broke don't fix it philosophy'. I don't actually notice much (any?) difference between IE5 and 6.

I'm even more committed to the philospophy now. I seem to be suffering dropped connections, lock-ups, inability to close down windows properly. Christ, no wonder people complain about the mess their systems get into when one plunges into the depths of a so-called upgrade. I am tempted to try and get back to plain old IE5 (without DAP)

Apache,

sorry to hear about your problems :(

I've used DA for 2 years or so with IE5&6 with never any problems. Weird how that stuff is sometimes. Though I like DA I never noticed a big speed gain on the dl, I liked it for the resume feature. Best of luck with one of the other dl programs.

The problems SEEM to be rectifying themselves. Almost as if the system had got knotted up? A few scandisk/defrags later, coupled with a couple of runs of 'Quickclean' seem to have sorted the mess out. Fingers crossed all is OK. I have to say though, I noticed no increase in transfer rate from the downloads let alone the 'up to 300%'.

I'm still not quite sure what IE6 gives me over 5, except on the security side?