Version 1.01.6640 Available

Brit

Hey guys. A new update is now available. Let me know if you have any problems with it - there are quite a few changes in this update.

Major changes:

- The game now supports foreign characters. Translations aren't available yet, but they aren't too far off. You can name cities, map-labels, players, units, technologies, etc using foreign character sets now.

- Added PBEM functionality

- - The system is still in 'alpha' so there will likely be bugs

- - The phrase "Play-by-email" is actually a misnomer, since game events get automatically uploaded and downloaded from the internet server; all communication happens directly with the internet server. (In the future, I think I'll eliminate the "PBEM" term.)

- - Players must be connected to the internet while playing the game. [Edit: This means PBEM games, not single-player games.]

- Added EOSMessenger so PBEM players can track their games

- - The EOSMessenger isn't showing all the information that it should show, but that will be corrected in the future.

- Adjusted the AI so it wouldn't create so many transports

- Changed the file-format of the rules-file. Now, the file is about half the size as it was before, supports foreign languages, Units and Technologies can be renamed

- Fixed a problem opening new rulesets in the user-manual

- Changed the ruleset/terrain page in the user-manual

- Fixed a crash during game-save

To start a PBEM game:

One player needs to create a new PBEM game. This is done under "Multiplayer Games > PBEM > New Game (Create)". A code will be generated for all PBEM players (something like "Epsilon54-Mar28-P02:2324"). The host needs to send a code out to each player. The game automatically uploads and downloads events from the internet server, so you need to be connected to the internet when playing a PBEM game. (Bad things happen if you aren't connected; but I'm working on some new features so that nothing goes wrong if you aren't connected.)

The other players will go to "Multiplayer Games > PBEM > New Game (Join)", and copy and paste their code into the window. The game will automatically download their game from the internet server and they can play.

You can run "EOSMessenger" to notify you of new events in your game. When you create or join a game, that game gets automatically added to the list of games that the EOSMessenger tracks. The EOSMessenger doesn't yet display all the information that I want to, but it does work well enough for now.

Hey guys. A new update is now available. Let me know if you have any problems with it - there are quite a few changes in this update.

Major changes:

- Players must be connected to the internet while playing the game.

Does this include us single players?

If so, have to say I am not happy about the DRM changing after purchase! :mad: I would never have bought EOS if it had had such a requirement to begin with and certainly not if I knew it would change after purchase...

Does this include us single players?

If so, have to say I am not happy about the DRM changing after purchase! :mad: I would never have bought EOS if it had had such a requirement to begin with and certainly not if I knew it would change after purchase...

No, sorry if I was unclear. You *do not* need to be connected to the internet while playing a single-player game. What I'm talking about is that you have to be connected to the internet while playing a PBEM (play by email) game. It isn't doing any DRM stuff at all. What's going on is that when you do things in the game (like send a message, send a trade agreement, declare war, or submit your orders), your game uploads the data to the internet server so everyone else can get the data. In other words, you have to be connected to the internet while playing a PBEM game so data can be passed between players (just like you have to be connected while playing a regular (non-LAN) internet multiplayer game).

This isn't some sort of Ubisoft DRM system.