Israeli war film "Lebanon"

Patrocles

apologies if this is old news.

I heard bits of a review on the BBC. It sounds like it is worth my time to watch this film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebanon_%28film%29

The film, shot inside a tank, follows the story of an attempt to rescue a group of paratroopers under siege in an urban setting from Syrian troops.[3] It is directed by Samuel Maoz, who based it on his adventures as a young Israeli conscript during the war with Lebanon in 1982.[4] It has been described as an anti-war movie by British newspaper The Guardian.[2]

interesting review on the IMDB website

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1483831/

I really cannot understand all the positive reviews on this movie. To start with, everything is unrealistic/not believable, but not to the point of being metaphorical or theatrical, no! just to the point that it becomes very irritating. I will not go into the details, but to quote a few problems: the bunch of soldiers are not trained at all (is this the efficient Israeli army or what?), they all show very human feelings and cannot obey to their orders (how many times we've seen this already? who performs all the terrible deeds that happened in that war??)... the zoom lenses from the tank can do miracles and every target looks pitifully straight into the lenses/camera (unbearable)... the idea that they (the Israeli Army represented by the silly bunch) do not understand what their allied falangists say and ingenuously support them is quite outrageous and possibly, a way to call itself out from any responsibility of the Sabra and Shatila massacre... unacceptable! Finally everyone access the tank as if it was an hotel. Nothing really noticeable about the score, camera work or screenplay. Another very overrated movie. Avoid it.

Sounds like a lot of crappy war movies I've seen. Still, gotta see it myself to truly judge it. :)

Gpig

interesting review on the IMDB website

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1483831/

I really cannot understand all the positive reviews on this movie. To start with, everything is unrealistic/not believable, but not to the point of being metaphorical or theatrical, no! just to the point that it becomes very irritating. I will not go into the details, but to quote a few problems: the bunch of soldiers are not trained at all (is this the efficient Israeli army or what?), they all show very human feelings and cannot obey to their orders (how many times we've seen this already? who performs all the terrible deeds that happened in that war??)... the zoom lenses from the tank can do miracles and every target looks pitifully straight into the lenses/camera (unbearable)... the idea that they (the Israeli Army represented by the silly bunch) do not understand what their allied falangists say and ingenuously support them is quite outrageous and possibly, a way to call itself out from any responsibility of the Sabra and Shatila massacre... unacceptable! Finally everyone access the tank as if it was an hotel. Nothing really noticeable about the score, camera work or screenplay. Another very overrated movie. Avoid it.

Sounds like a lot of crappy war movies I've seen. Still, gotta see it myself to truly judge it. :)

Gpig

thanks for the link! I will have to look at more reviewer comments.

I wonder if the bloke is a military grog? He seems to know a little bit about the military.