Following the Euphrates AAR

Hi all,

This is one of my favorite little missions, and quite a challenging one, so I thought I'd do an AAR for it.

The mission description is rather brief, but it appears you are up against a Syrian mechanised company. You have two Stryker platoons and a platoon of tanks at your disposal at the beginning.

Quite a lot of fire power at your disposal, but the terrain is heavily in favour of the defender. The only route into town is a narrow road flanked on either side by trees, a clear kill zone. This fight is going to be centred around infantry, and bringing all your firepower to the table is going to be difficult.

Firstly, lets look at the map and my basic plan of attack (you will have to mind my awesome paintbrush skills):

image01.jpg

image02.jpg

My primary objective is the intersection on the opposite side of the town. There is an enemy strongpoint behind the town, and dug in enemy positions along the road next to the town.

The plan is as follows:

Moving vehicles up the road is going to spell disaster, the only real option is an infantry fight in town. I'm a big fan of massing infantry and attacking at a single point, so I'm going to send my infantry right up the middle through the forest, create a breach in the wall, and attack the town from the forest. This gives my attacking infantry good cover, and once inside the town I can break the defenders down in piecemeal from a direction they won't expect.

1st Platoon will be in charge of creating a strong point in the town, 2nd Platoon will sweep through 1st Platoons position and create a strong point overlooking the intersection. 1st Platoon will then mop up any enemy left in the town and the ditches over the road, so I can then move my vehicles up in support.

During the assault, two tanks will provide overwatch down the road, and the other two will provide overwatch on the left hand flank, facing the enemy strong point. The conditions say "damp" so its a bit risky moving tanks across fields, but I figure the forest floor is suitable to move tanks through without getting them bogged.

Note, I am placing my fire support and company HQ elements on the building that overlooks the town closest to my start position. Against a human opponent, this might be a bad idea given the fact the will bring artillery down on such a obvious position, however against the AI it doesnt matter so much.

I will use artillery to create breaches in the walls, then smoke to cover 1st Platoons advance into the town.

I have 1 hour 20 minutes to complete my mission. The breakdown of time is the following:

1:00:00 All units in position and ready to attack. Phase Line Alpha.

40:00 Strong point created in town, Objective A.

20:00 Strong point created around the intersection, Objective B.

0:00 Opposition mopped up in & around the town, and vehicles up in a position to support infantry guarding the intersection.

There are other secondary objectives in this mission by the looks, but I am chosing to ignore them and instead focus primarily on the intersection objective.

More to follow soon.