Expected performance increase by getting a 32MB card?

Hey everyone,

not looking for any specific numbers, just a general idea. I am currently running CMBB with a 16MB video card on a G4/400 with 320 MB ram.

Currently the graphics in CM are quite choppy and I was hoping to smooth them out a little, mostly for moving the camera up and down and movign around.

I was thinking about purchasing a 32MB video card and was wondering what my expected performance increase would be by doing so. Is it worth getting the 32MB card, should I just double the money I expect to pay for my 32MB card and get the 64MB card, or do you think the 32MB card would suffice.

I guess I'm looking for my graphics performance to improve by at least 50-75%. Any thoughts? Thanks.

For the time being, there appears to be no advantage in CM with getting anything larger than 32MB if you are buying an nVidia. The more powerful Radeons seem to show up better with the larger cards, however. So it comes down to which card you are getting and what you expect to play on it. If you are getting an nVidia and expect to be playing some other high-end 3D games, then the more powerful card would be justified. I'd also go for the bigger card if you don't anticipate getting another one in a year or more as it won't become obsolete quite as fast.

Just a few thoughts...

Michael

[ January 29, 2003, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

The 16MB card would be Raqge128, but the 32MB card could be quite a few models actually. At worst just another Rage128 with more memory.

Geforce2MX could be 32MB's, that'd be plenty faster but with less image quality in CM.

Radeons are the best CM choice, good performance and image quality. AGP cards (rather than PCI) are better for CM (and overall too). They dont seem to downsample graphics as much, thus giving clearer picture.