Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

new graphic card

hi there i´m planning to buy a new graphic card,my old matrox millenium 16mb doesn´t make the job anymore. i want to buy a leadtek

geforce4/mx440 with 64 mb. good plan? does anyone have that card and is having problems or should i better go for the geforce4/ti4200 which is more expensive?

thanks for answers!

Originally posted by sombrero:

hi there i´m planning to buy a new graphic card,my old matrox millenium 16mb doesn´t make the job anymore. i want to buy a leadtek

geforce4/mx440 with 64 mb. good plan? does anyone have that card and is having problems or should i better go for the geforce4/ti4200 which is more expensive?

thanks for answers!

I would not recommend the MX series of vid cards. I just had to get my brother able to play CMBB, let me tell ya it was no fun task.

His PC

Pent 3 700Mgz

320Mb SD Ram

Voodoo 5500 PCI

His framerate while scrolling was so terrible, it was more or less not worth playing CMBB. So I decided to help him out. I thought first to get him a new vid card, help because he only has PCI on his motherboard, no AGP. The only card I could find better than his Voodoo 5500 was the G4 MX440 PCI. It was worse than the Voodoo 5500 hundred in every way, graphics sucked and so did framerate.

Ya you may have AGP and the G4 MX440 would do better than the PCI version, but I did alot of research before getting the G4 MX440, and every website review or person I spoke with said the MX cards just are not that great, nothing at all like the G4 ti vid cards.

So I decided just give my brother my PC and I had a new one built for myself.

My PC I gave to my brother is a

Pent 4 2.4Ghz

512MB DDR Ram

G4 Ti 4600 128MB DDR Ram AGP VisionTek (Xtacy)

New PC I just recieved this week is a

Pent 4 2.533Ghz

512MB DDR Ram

G4 Ti 4600 128MB DDR Ram AGP VisionTek (Xtacy)

Both play CMBB perfectly

You might say geez the G4 Ti 4600 128MB DDR RAM

that about $350 dollars, thats to much.

I have a friend with a

Pent 4 1.4Ghz

256 MB DDR Ram

G4 Ti4200 128MB DDR Ram AGP LedTek

His PC also runs CMBB very well. The only reason I opted for the G4 Ti4600 because it only cost $50 over the G4 Ti4200 with the purchase of the 2 PC's.

So I would say if you don't have the cash for a G4 Ti4600 then go with a G4Ti 4200 or G4Ti4400.

If you do not have a AGP bus I am sorry to tell, not much is gonna improve your situation, trust me I tried everything on my brothers PC.

You can find the G4 Ti 4200 for around $150 if you look around on the net. Retail stores your looking at $180 to $200. Plus the Ledtek will probably cost a little more than the prices I quoted you. Really the Vision Tek (Xtacey) is no better or worse than the Ledtek version. Plus I have heard of an rare problem with LedTek version, having problems with transparency, but that could just be a problem with the LedTek Drivers which is a quick fix. Though my friend has no problems.

[ October 04, 2002, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Shatter ]