Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Demo install modifies IE - fix or somefink!

bbaker

Hey guys,

I've been a BF customer since the first CM. Love, love, love the games you've done. Not only historical, but also excellent examples of game design. Haven't picked up Shock Force (yet), because modern wargaming isn't really my thing. That said, I've been lurking, I'm excited about the upcoming Normandy game, and finally decided to give SF 1.11 a go. I downloaded the demo, installed, and just clicked through the installation process. I'm a little bit unhappy to find that the demo tried to replace Google as my default search engine (it was blocked) but successfully added a line to my IE header. I know, I know, I should be careful about click boxes and should read what I'm agreeing to. But I never thought I had to bother checking what I was agreeing to with you guys. My bad. Now, how do I remove the added line from IE and the little BFC logo (like you weren't already bookmarked? you're hurting my feelings!) because none of the easily-accessible menu options seem to want to do it for me.

Thanks in advance!

Like you say, the Battlefront Community Toolbar is only added when you opt-in to add it. It contains much more than just bookmarks - e.g. you have all the newest feeds and announcements, such as an RSS feed from this forum here as well as the Repository (indicating new files and discussion threads) and of course the news page. You also have an entire Social Bookmarking system to share interesting wargaming pages with the community, you have a chat, a link to the Theatre of War multiplayer lobby, and more. Over time we're going to add even more functions to the toolbar and turn it into a central place for multiplayer for all Battlefront games, including PBEM helper. That's why we are recommending the toolbar and are including it with demos and patches. Of course, if you don't like it, uncheck it.

As to how to uninstall: it's simple, and explained under the "HELP" button. For your convenience, here is a link to the Toolbar FAQ as well as a copy of what it says:

http://battlefrontcom.ourtoolbar.com/Help/?version=4.5.188.6#4_1

How do I uninstall the Battlefront.com toolbar?

You may uninstall this software at any time and with no limitations, using the standard uninstall procedures as offered with your computer's operating system or your Internet browser.

Internet Explorer users

Click the Start button and then select Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.

In the list of programs, find the Battlefront.com toolbar, select it, and click Change/Remove.

Firefox users

In your browser menu, select Tools > Add-ons.

Make sure the Extensions tab is selected.

Select the Battlefront.com toolbar.

Click the Uninstall button.

There are many other entries under that link as well, such as "how do I change Google as the search engine etc." and so forth.